CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

looking for an ASE book

lothos

Hey guys!

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I didn't know where to put it.

I recently read "Car Care for Car Guys" by Ralph Kalal. It's geared towards the beginner, showing you how to do oil changes, change belts, fluid changes, basic diagnostics, stuff like that. It was a good book, but was pretty basic, and it reminded me of another book I'd seen at Half Price Books a while ago.

The book I'm looking for was a thick (couple hundred pages) hardcover book. It retailed for about $100, and half price books had a new copy in a plastic cellophane wrapper for $50. It was geared towards teaching how to become an ASE certified mechanic. It taught brakes, diagnostics, how to use a multimeter, engine repair, etc. (Basically the stuff you'd learn if you went to school for mechanics) It had lots of photographs, and there were side notes with special tips and techniques. It might have even been a textbook for an ASE mechanics course.

I'm kicking myself for not buying it now but I couldn't afford it at the time I saw it. Half price books doesn't have it anymore at the store I checked, and I've been looking at Amazon and Barnes and Nobles and all I can find are books like the ASE Test Prep for Brakes, or ASE Test Prep for Engine Repair.

So, anyone know what book I'm talking about? Or recommend a similar book?

Thanks guys!

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I finally found the book I was looking for. I saw the 2nd edition at Half Price Books, this is a link to the third edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Technolog...5902&sr=1-1

It's called Automotive Technology: Principles, Diagnosis, and Service.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

Glad you found the book you were looking for. If you do get a copy please consider posting a book review.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I ordered that book from Amazon.com and got it yesterday. It's about 1400 pages and includes 3700 color pictures and diagrams. It looks like it's used as a textbook for ASE courses. It's the 3rd Edition, the copyright says 2009 on the inside. It sems to be pretty current, it covers hybrids and I noticed that the GM magnetic shock system is in there too.

I'm about 75 pages into it so far, but I'll try to do a review when I get most of it done.

Cheers!

Archived