CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Closer to Hydrogen Storage

cleantechnica.com

Hydrogen cars may be feasible sooner than previously thought thanks to the efforts of a research team at the University of Crete in Greece. The scientists have developed a hydrogen storage model that can store up to 41 grams of hydrogen per liter— almost matching the US Department of Energy’s target of 45 grams per liter.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Deleted for stupidity.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I still have great difficulty with the hydrogen economy. After two weeks parked at the airport you will return to an empty tank. Molecular hydrogen, H2, is the smallest molecule in the world. You can't simply stop it from leaking out. I don't see that working.

Homegrown hydrogen energy production facilities are great if you only want to jaunt around the neighborhood. But if you want to travel any great distance you will need to refuel on the highway. That will require filling stations along the roadway. The expense of constructing those facilities will be enormous. The hydrogen losses at those stations will be significant. This is NOT a pretty picture.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

There will be significant infrastructure costs with most solutions. The beauty of hydrogen as a energy carrier is that it is relatively pollution free, and plentiful, and easy to make.

What I want regardless of which solutions win is a generation station at home that stores energy for my Cadillac for free or close to it. A solar power station that makes hydrogen seems like one way to do that.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

There will be significant infrastructure costs with most solutions. The beauty of hydrogen as a energy carrier is that it is relatively pollution free, and plentiful, and easy to make.

What I want regardless of which solutions win is a generation station at home that stores energy for my Cadillac for free or close to it. A solar power station that makes hydrogen seems like one way to do that.

If your car uses 100KW of energy, your home hydrogen generating station, after losses and seepage etc., will still consume perhaps 175KW of energy to produce that hydrogen. An all-electric vehicle might consume only 115KW of energy to charge its batteries for the same range/performance. In either event it won't be "free or close to it." Don't forget a significant amount of energy might be required to compress that gas into a liquid.

A modest solar power station might help, but the greater part of the burden will still have to be born by the public electrical grid.

In the end there is one unavoidable fact: our public electric grid does not have the capacity to deliver this amount of energy to any great number of vehicle owners. The average home consumes KWs in the single digits.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived