CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

About to bar it over

EJPut

I am going to attempt to turn the engine manually using a socket on the crankcase pully damper nut ( or at least that is what I think I need to do) to determined if the hydrostatic lock siezed the engine. My questions is, how should it feel when I attempt to turn it? Should I be able to turn it easily, or will there be some resitance and if so, how much pressure should I expect to use to move it?? If it does not move at all, is the engine junk?

Thanks,

Eric

Sorry, I should have clarified this. I have already pulled the plugs, turned the engine over and gas shot out of a couple of cylinders. It will not turn anymore, only makes a screeching sound. The gas came from a leak in the fuel rail which flooded the intake manifold sucking gas into the cylinders. I have already removed the gas from the intake manifold.

With no spark plugs installed, the engine should turn over quite easily with a bar.

There should only be a few lbs resistance on the bar.

If it will turn over, however, with a great deal of resistance, then something is wrong.

Try turning in each direction.

Also, if it will turn by the bar, you should put about a teaspoon of oil down each plug hole. Then turn it over. With all that gas, it could be very dry in the cyl.

Good luck and let us know the results.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

• 2 months later...

Put a socket and a breaker bar on the bolt in the crankshaft (damper) pulley and turn it. With the plugs out there is no compression and it should turn rather easily.

I am going to attempt to turn the engine manually using a socket on the crankcase pully damper nut ( or at least that is what I think I need to do) to determined if the hydrostatic lock siezed the engine. My questions is, how should it feel when I attempt to turn it? Should I be able to turn it easily, or will there be some resitance and if so, how much pressure should I expect to use to move it?? If it does not move at all, is the engine junk?

Thanks,

Eric

Watch your grip on that bar. Wear heavy work gloves in addition to safety goggles. Remove any rings you are wearing as well as watches, etc. If your hand slips and you hit it somewhere, there's a possibility that you can compress a ring on your finger (the ring might severely bend) and it will require someone to cut the ring off your finger.

If your hand or the bar slips, you could tear the flesh right off your hands as most likely there will be so much force when your hand slips that it's sure to hit something hard and sharp in the engine compartment. Be very careful!

Good luck! :)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived