CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dim digital displays

I've posted twice on this but no-one at those times had had a simillar problem. All of the digital displays on my 01 STS are fine at night, but on normally bright days, when they switch to their daytime bright mode, they are too dim to be comfortably read. And I mean DIM! Can't read the AC or radio displays without pulling off the road and peering closely at them. The dealer claimed on two occasions that they were within specs. Cadillac customer service has an "executive review" scheduled at my dealership next week. I am aprehensive about this one kick I get at the cat, before the warranty runs out. I expect the dealer to be reasonably defensive, so if anyone has had any experience with dim digital displays I'd value your comments.

did you make sure to adjust the knob next to the Twilight Sentinal switch. Its the small round one with the little picture of the guage on it that pushes in and out. Try playing with that and if it doesn't work, inquire about a new switch. Hope this helps. :)

danbuc mentioned that you can make the adjustment via the dimmer switch thats probably all you can do is turn up the dimmer switch. I just had the inst.cluster replaced in a 01 deville and it is the same as the old one when you switch to having your headlights on they are a little dimmer than when your headlights are off I imagine it's by design I know when i have the headlights on at night the instruments and other stuff is not as bright as when they are off.(day time mode) I can read everything fine I can birghten them up with the dimmer but even all they up they are still not as bright as when the headlights are off(daytime mode). It sure sounds like something is wrong I have driven newer 01,02 STS's and they were all fine No problem like you mention It should all go well with the review they want to please but they have to determine it's a problem first.. I know the feeling when you mention a problem and it dissappears while at the dealer Did you try shutting off the Twilight Sentinel switch to off?? to see if that matters or maybe you have a bad sensor or dirty sensor the dealer should be able to find the cause..

Good Luck

Jim

Thanks for you thoughts.

It is striclty a daytime problem i.e., when the dimmer knob has no effect (as should be the case). During daytime when the display should be at its brightest, it is barely bright enough to overcome normal daytime ambient light.

I have the same problem with the to dim to read in the daytime. Haven't had the time to dig into it yet. Post what you find out it might help others with same problem.

Thanks Jeff

I've had the same problem with my deville, and haven't found a way to fix it... especially when looking into the sun I can slip up to 90 without knowing any better... not a good thing when one lives amongst virginia law enforcement.

Well I can report now on the "executive review". I wasn't present for it, since the service manager asked me to leave the car all day, but I understand that the Cadi representative showed up, that the service manager and he went out and looked at the display, and compared it to an 01 STS on the used car lot and said it is fine. No surprise there because it was a heavily overcast day, but frustrating. One would have expected a meter to be used, but that might be too much.

I really don't know where to go from here. I wonder if this is a can of worms that Cadillac just doesn't want to open.

Call the nearest Cadillac Zone Office and make a complaint to them. The dealer will take more notice that way and also ask that it be checked on a sunny day. It's hard to find a leak in the roof if it isn't raining! Common sense is not a requirement to be a service manager. I know, I was one for Buick for years. :)

I appreciate your reply. The GM rep was from the zone office, doing an "executive review", whatever that is. I wasn't invited to it. I think I might be check-mated. I really love the car, so I can live with it but as said, it is frustrating. It is my 5th Cadi with digital display and never a problem with it before.

I appreciate your reply. The GM rep was from the zone office, doing an "executive review", whatever that is. I wasn't invited to it. I think I might be check-mated. I really love the car, so I can live with it but as said, it is frustrating. It is my 5th Cadi with digital display and never a problem with it before.

You should have insisted that you be present for the review. Have you compared your car with another as well?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If it helps get them to look at all (any modle year) years of Seville's that has this dashboard. I have driven various modles STS/SLS from 1998-2001 and not a one of those had dim dasboard displays ... not one. So, if there is any year Seville sitting on their lot from 1998 - 2004 first ... you compare the difference between the two dashes. If it's correct drag the service manager out by the noise hairs and point! Hell ... I'd be cheking every Seville on the lot as well as 2000 and up Deville DTS as well as I believe they have them. I'm not sure if the Deville DHS has this dashboard.

Keep up the fight!

Jim White

I have a 2000 STS and 20/20 vision, day or night; but I feel, when the sun is shining, that the dashboard displays are too dark.

I'm with Guru! You're too easy on them. Put the Zone man in the driver's seat and take him out on a sunny day and have him read the radio dial. If he can't, you've made your point; but if he can, then get your eyes tested! LOL

It's easy for them to decide the lights are up to standard if you're not there but it's another thing to say they're ok if all three of you can see their not.

I have been "off air" for several days while this laptop was out for repairs. (Not because the display was too dim - LOL).

I am at an impasse I think with the zone office now - they "can't do anything more". Even worse, I am beginning to doubt myself! But not my wife - who announced that "We will never own another Cadillac". So to protect my future driving my favourite cars, I think I have to win this one.

I will wait for a sunny day and go to another dealer service department.

Guru, it works fine at night - the knob controls the brightness, and it gets bright enough. It is only the daytime brightness that is inadequate. Tomorrow though I will double check your good suggestions.

The trouble here is that brightness seems to be a judgement call - not something anyone seems to be equipped to measure. As an electronics worker it is frustrating to me to argue about something that should just be measured.

More info after I find another shop to look at it. And for sure I will be there for the test.

Thanks again for such interest and help.

Archived