CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

S030 help

gmr18769

S030 Speed Sensitive Steering Fault

This sounds worth fixing, and it probably disables your RSS and puts your ride on the roughest setting all the time.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

S030 Speed Sensitive Steering Fault

This sounds worth fixing, and it probably disables your RSS and puts your ride on the roughest setting all the time.

Would you happen to know where I should start checking to be able to fix the problem? I was thinking the valve for the power steering but not sure?

No, there's a steering angle sensor on the steering column under the dash. I don't have experience with this problem but if someone doesn't jump in I will delve into my 1997 FSM and give you the Goodwrench recommended process on a S030 code equivalent for OBD II,

C1287 Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I've never dealt with this issue, but I have a 1995 FSM which has OBD1. I'm more than happy to post anything out of it. If I can be of assistance, let me know.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I've never dealt with this issue, but I have a 1995 FSM which has OBD1. I'm more than happy to post anything out of it. If I can be of assistance, let me know.

yes please can you check to see what it tells you to inspect if you get the s030 code.

1 Clear Codes

2 Cycle SSS Solenoid (RSS Output SO05)

3 wait 20 seconds

4 check codes, is S030 set?

If NO, check for intermittents. That section says it may be necessary to take the car on a test drive. If it's not repeated, most intermittents are caused by faulty connections or wiring. Poor mating of connections or terminals, damaged terminals, poor terminal to wire connection.

If YES:

-key OFF

- disconnect RSS control module connectors "C2" and "C1"

-key ON

-measure voltage between pin "C16" of the RSS module connector "C1" harness and ground.

You'll either get 0 volts or Voltage.

the diagnostic tree is pretty large at this point, if you want to diagnose it to this point and let me know what you get, I can post the rest.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

1 Clear Codes

2 Cycle SSS Solenoid (RSS Output SO05)

3 wait 20 seconds

4 check codes, is S030 set?

If NO, check for intermittents. That section says it may be necessary to take the car on a test drive. If it's not repeated, most intermittents are caused by faulty connections or wiring. Poor mating of connections or terminals, damaged terminals, poor terminal to wire connection.

If YES:

-key OFF

- disconnect RSS control module connectors "C2" and "C1"

-key ON

-measure voltage between pin "C16" of the RSS module connector "C1" harness and ground.

You'll either get 0 volts or Voltage.

the diagnostic tree is pretty large at this point, if you want to diagnose it to this point and let me know what you get, I can post the rest.

ok so I want to be sure that im doing this correctly i cleared the codes i went to rss outputs and raised it to 5 then i pressed econ to exit. the service ride control message comes on a few seconds after I exit am I doing something wrong?

Here's another important point I should make you aware of:

IMPORTANT: Do not backprobe sensors, dampers, or ELC/SSS connectors (I'm not sure what this means)

Replace steering system fluid filter whenever the SSS solenoid is replaced.

I think you're doing it correctly, and should try measuring the voltage now. Anyone else want to chime in at this point?

Cheers!

A dealer tech will likely know for sure, but I think that backprobe means to disconnect a sensor or component and put a meter on the contacts from the module, then turn on the car or even start it -- or to put the meter on the contacts to the sensor without the module being connected. That's what it says to do with the RSS connector with specific terminals, but I can see where this would set codes. I would avoid backprobing anything that isn't specifically spelled out with instructions in the FSM, like lothos' example. Also, I would check for any new codes, and any were set I would clear the codes at that point and start over.

Also, I would be sure and use a high-quality DMM that is certified for continuity checks for electronic equipment. These use very high impedance and very low voltage and current, and won't pop junctions in chips, and will see a diode as OPEN from either direction. These won't break anything but if a module doesn't see a sensor when the car is turned on and started it will likely set a code.

A dealer tech will likely know for sure, but I think that backprobe means to disconnect a sensor or component and put a meter on the contacts from the module, then turn on the car or even start it -- or to put the meter on the contacts to the sensor without the module being connected. That's what it says to do with the RSS connector with specific terminals, but I can see where this would set codes. I would avoid backprobing anything that isn't specifically spelled out with instructions in the FSM, like lothos' example. Also, I would check for any new codes, and any were set I would clear the codes at that point and start over.

Also, I would be sure and use a high-quality DMM that is certified for continuity checks for electronic equipment. These use very high impedance and very low voltage and current, and won't pop junctions in chips, and will see a diode as OPEN from either direction. These won't break anything but if a module doesn't see a sensor when the car is turned on and started it will likely set a code.

wow it seems like it has gotten a lot more complicated than what I thought it looks like im going to have to take the car to a tech. I will post the results.

Archived