CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk Gremlins 96 SLS

Delta

How about this one. Once in a while, when I shut off the car (96 SLS), the trunk button inside doesn't work, and neither does the remote. The trunk has to be opened with the key. Even turning the ignition on doesnt do it. And then, after a while, Wala, they work again? Any opinions?

I would think that you may have a problem in the circut to the trunk release solenoid.

It is most likely not related to the fact that you have just shut the engine off. That is the time that you would normally use the trunk release anyway.

Check all the connections and the integrity of the wire going to the solenoid. Look for a pinched place on the wire going to the solenoid. A dirty connection, broken wire, bad ground, or solenoid going bad will all give intermittent operation.

The simplest thing would be to check for a bad ground between the trunk lid and the car body. Install a jumper wire between the trunk lid and car body. Make sure that you have good connections. Then see if the problem goes away.

A problem with an electrical connection is most likely to occur in the trunk area where the wire is exposed to flexing each time the trunk is opened. The wire is also exposed to being pinched by large items being put in the trunk.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

If I remember correctly, the release solenoid is inside the trunk lid.

Any failure of lamps or solenoids inside the trunk lid, inspect the flexable harness at the front left trunk hinge. Very common to have broken /damaged wires at the harness flex point. The harness can even get crushed by the hinge when closed.

Archived