CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Interesting luck?

Babydon

So a couple days ago my right light goes out (again).

Call my guy and he says he'll upgrade the ballast, he thinks it may be blown.

He replaces the ballast, nothing, the bulb, nothing...

To make sure they actually work he checked em out on the working (left) side - seem fine there.

He checks the voltage that's coming out of the wire and it's fluctuating between 12.5 and 16 volts.

What's strange is that still, somehow no power is coming through, it's being drawn somewhere.

He has a feeling the problem may be in my fuse box. perhaps the relay and suggested I go to his GM guy.

Before letting me go though he suggested harnessing the power elsewhere so that at least I have working headlamps for night time.

He hooks up the wring direct from the battery terminal under the hood and neatly hides the wiring.

Turn on the lights - they work. :)

I thank him kindly, get in my car and start 'er up.

First thing I notice is my fuel gauge spring up to over half!!!

Check me DIC - it works!!!

I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago about my DIC not working - pretty much my cluster other than my speedometer and odometer.

So far since then everything seems tiptop, no codes, no service lights etc...

What do you guys think happened or is wrong with my fuse box?

I'm almost afraid to go on like this for too long. ^_^

335a099287.jpg

So a couple days ago my right light goes out (again).

Call my guy and he says he'll upgrade the ballast, he thinks it may be blown.

He replaces the ballast, nothing, the bulb, nothing...

To make sure they actually work he checked em out on the working (left) side - seem fine there.

He checks the voltage that's coming out of the wire and it's fluctuating between 12.5 and 16 volts.

What's strange is that still, somehow no power is coming through, it's being drawn somewhere.

He has a feeling the problem may be in my fuse box. perhaps the relay and suggested I go to his GM guy.

Before letting me go though he suggested harnessing the power elsewhere so that at least I have working headlamps for night time.

He hooks up the wring direct from the battery terminal under the hood and neatly hides the wiring.

Turn on the lights - they work. :)

I thank him kindly, get in my car and start 'er up.

First thing I notice is my fuel gauge spring up to over half!!!

Check me DIC - it works!!!

I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago about my DIC not working - pretty much my cluster other than my speedometer and odometer.

So far since then everything seems tiptop, no codes, no service lights etc...

What do you guys think happened or is wrong with my fuse box?

I'm almost afraid to go on like this for too long. ^_^

To me it almost sounds like a short somewhere on the wiring harness for that much to go out.

As well, i wouldnt go very long like that, likely to drain your battery.

(side note: i would try and trip a code or 2 just to make sure it is working, and not just hooked up incorrectly. Would hate to have a major issue come from not being able to see the codes)

To me it almost sounds like a short somewhere on the wiring harness for that much to go out.

As well, i wouldnt go very long like that, likely to drain your battery.

(side note: i would try and trip a code or 2 just to make sure it is working, and not just hooked up incorrectly. Would hate to have a major issue come from not being able to see the codes)

How can I trip an easy code?

Thanks for the idea...

335a099287.jpg

I just called up your owners manual and fuse number 7 is for the instrument panel, pull it and look at the blades for any corrosion white or green. If you find corrosion buy some electrical contact clearer and clean the socket and the fuse. DO NOT use anything abrasive to clean electrical contacts.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived