CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bbobynski

Was at the mall yesterday shopping and parked out at the end with no one around and plenty of room. Thought I would nail it from a stop. "TRACTION CONTROL" showed up on DIC but nothing seemed to happen like usual. The R's were up pretty good but I wasn't moving that fast. The transmission seemed lke it was slipping. Drove back around to where I started and to my amazement saw a patch of rubber about 150' long. The trans wasn't slipping, the tire was just smoking. The tire wasn't squealling so I didn't realize it was smoking. (Wasn't expecting it)

What happenned to traction control? Did the computer just freak out for a few seconds?

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Gotta love that high stall converter :)

Were both tires smoking or just one? If both are smoking and spinning at very close to the same speed then it won't do a whole lot.. I've tested it out many ttimes... Try turning the wheel to the left or right and then punching it and watch what it does.. it's freaky

Were both tires smoking or just one? If both are smoking and spinning at very close to the same speed then it won't do a whole lot.. I've tested it out many ttimes... Try turning the wheel to the left or right and then punching it and watch what it does.. it's freaky

That is true. I've blasted up many wet Interstate on-ramps and sometimes the whole front of the car drifts to the low side of the road. Both tires are spinning at the same rate (and the tach shows it) and the traction control isn't picking up on it. Either that, or something's wrong with my system because the ABS doesn't kick on and the TRACTION ENGAGED message doesn't light.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The only way for it to truely know if it was spinning would be to measure the speed differential between the back wheels and the front and not just the speed diff between the front two.. Or to use a type of pressure sensor or gyro but that would be much more complex.. I'm not 100% positive it works like this but i'm pretty sure. Even the manuals are wrong at times :)

It only smoked the right wheel, but I have gotten both wheels to lay down rubber at the same time but only for about 10' before traction control took over. I guess that is what I am surprised at is how it let the wheel spin for so long and not controlling the slipage like it is supposed to do.

When it works properly it is like posi-traction, one side to the other or both.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

The traction control did exactly what it was supposed to do. It applied the brakes to the side that was not spinning and warned you to take your foot out of it!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

The traction control did exactly what it was supposed to do. It applied the brakes to the side that was not spinning and warned you to take your foot out of it!

It's supposed to apply the brakes to the spinning tire, and not allow flagrant wheelspin, such as would be required to produce a 150' layout. :)

I did expect that the traction control would be comparing wheel speeds of all four wheels, but apparently, it only compares the wheel speed of each drive wheel. That front axle, it seems, can spin as fast as it wants to all day long, as long as the speeds of both wheels are similar. At speed on a wet road, mine will really slide to the side (this is separate from torque steer) after a downshift if I floor it. This is usually only noticed on a banked road...otherwise the car just pulls straight and the tires blend in from spinning to gripping as the speed increases.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I would hate for my traction control to break, then i would only start acceleration in 2nd........and that wouldnt be cool B)

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Like Jason said the brakes are supposed to be applied to the spinning wheel and also power is diverted to the wheel with traction and if that dosen't reduce spinning then the computer will start dropping cylinders until slippage is controlled. That is how mine always works. When I crowned a hill at WOT the front end got so light the computer almost shut the engine off. It was like hitting a puddle of mud for a split second until traction was controlled. It has never allowed anything but a small burnout in the past.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

.... When I crowned a hill at WOT the front end got so light the computer almost shut the engine off. It was like hitting a puddle of mud for a split second until traction was controlled. It has never allowed anything but a small burnout in the past.

Same reaction when you hit a hydroplaning situation. First time I experienced that was on the Interstate in the RH lane with obvious grooves worn in the surface by large trucks. There was no traffic within a mile of me so I took the opportunity to drive in and out of the water that was running in the grooves.

Quite an experience to feel that traction control cutting the power back until both drive wheels are going the same speed.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived