CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Turn Signal Switch Replacement

MAC

I'm going to replace my turn signal switch in the steering wheel. My left side turn signal lamp is not working despite changing the bulb. Not too long ago, I posted a topic about steering wheel smoking. It looks like the switch went bad. Does anyone have advice? I know the air bag should be disabled by pulling the fuse. Can I do the job without special tools?

MAC

Mac,

There is a "special tool" to remove a retainer ring or plate or something like that. You could make one pretty easy and I will if I ever need to do it again. That said, it can be done without it but it takes three hands, several screwdrivers and many many tries. It is a PITA but doable.

To make the job easier, get a lock plate removal tool and a steering wheel puller. You can buy them at Advance Auto Parts, or maybe rent them. Be sure to wait at least 1/2 hour after you pull the bag fuse and disconnect the negative battery cable, so the bag won't fire off.

rek

Can anyone help me locate the fuse(s) that I should pull to disable the steering wheel air bag. I have my Eldorado manual, which has diagrams of the three fuse blocks: "Engine Compartment Fuse Block", "MAXI Fuse Block" & "Rear Compartment Fuse Block." However, the diagrams do not specifically list which fuse(s) belong to the air bags. I can scan the appropriate pages and post them.

Thanks,

MAC

Mac, check my post out regarding tailight sockets for 96 seville. I do believe you have the same pigtail sockets in your car that is in the seville, if so your problem may be in that area. I changed out my turn signal switch, and they still did not work on the right side, pigtail problem. The gm number i posted takes care of the problem,. DO NOT GET A NEW WIRING HARNESS, they are made with the same pig tail sockets that the original ones came with.

Archived