CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1994 Fleetwood A/C problems

seanhan

my A/C was blowing nice and cold this morning, got off work and it would only blow hot.

The clutch doesen't seem to be engauging (no clicking sound) and the dryer unit is Hot.

I replaced the A/C compresser relay but that had no effect...

Any advice would be great

Thanks...

Check the fuse for the A/C compressor to make sure it is good. If it is, you may have a refrigerant leak - inspect the condenser, all refrigerant lines and the compressor for oily/greasy residue and report back.

Do you have access to a set of refrigerant pressure gages for R-134a? That would be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Check the fuse for the A/C compressor to make sure it is good. If it is, you may have a refrigerant leak - inspect the condenser, all refrigerant lines and the compressor for oily/greasy residue and report back.

Do you have access to a set of refrigerant pressure gages for R-134a? That would be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

OK the compressor fuse is good (tested with ohm meter)

I could not see any evidence of Leakage from refrigerant oil.

Also I replaced the compressor relay. Made no differance..

I don't have any gauges and no knowledge of A/C systems.

whats my next step (get someone to put gauges on it ???)

2 years ago it got low and had to get a charge the tech said he could not find a leak and mybe the schrader valve had a small leak, but no problems after that..

Thanks for any advice..

oh i also checked for codes and did not have any.............

Check to see if the pressure switch on the accumulator is plugged in and is not corroded. Sometimes, the plug becomes dislodged and that will prevent the compressor from engaging.

If that is not the problem, I think you need to have someone test the pressure of the system to determine if there is any refrigerant in the system. Have them perform a leak test also. Please post back your findings.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Check to see if the pressure switch on the accumulator is plugged in and is not corroded. Sometimes, the plug becomes dislodged and that will prevent the compressor from engaging.

If that is not the problem, I think you need to have someone test the pressure of the system to determine if there is any refrigerant in the system. Have them perform a leak test also. Please post back your findings.

Where is the Accumulator?? is that want they call the dryer ??

The large aluminum can that has refrigerant pipes hooked to it. Some call it a dryer since it has dessicant material in it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The large aluminum can that has refrigerant pipes hooked to it. Some call it a dryer since it has dessicant material in it.

Took car to Shop today, Freon was almost all gone , tech said the compresser might be leaking becuse there was some oily residue around the compresser clutch.

he added 1.5 pounds for $ 71.00 , and we will see how lone it takes for that to leak out.

I also saw some stop leak additive stuff at autozone today called super seal made by Quest, has anyone used it with good results...

I think i will buy a set of gauges now .. saw a cool video at www.efproducts.com

shows you how to add r134a .. and some other good info for a A/C newbe like me..

Thanks for your help..

Took car to Shop today, Freon was almost all gone , tech said the compresser might be leaking becuse there was some oily residue around the compresser clutch.

he added 1.5 pounds for $ 71.00 , and we will see how lone it takes for that to leak out.

I also saw some stop leak additive stuff at autozone today called super seal made by Quest, has anyone used it with good results...

I think i will buy a set of gauges now .. saw a cool video at www.efproducts.com

shows you how to add r134a .. and some other good info for a A/C newbe like me..

Thanks for your help..

Hopefully, the shop added dye to the system so that when it leaks out, the exact source of the leak can be identified. Please do not add any stop leak or other snake oil to the system. It won't fix a compressor seal and some of that stuff will ruin the accumulator or some tech's recovery machine.

It is normal to have a slight amount of oil leakage at the compressor clutch. An excessive amount of oil would indicate a leaky shaft seal. Shaft seals can be replaced for far less than the cost of a compressor but most A/C shops would rather replace the compressor and charge more money...

If the body of the compressor is all oily, the case o-rings are the source of the leak. GM made a change to the compressor case seals and any compressor manufactured after January, 2001 has the improved seals.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived