CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What is this thing??

I want to know what this is. I know when I crank up my car or just turn the ignition to on it make a loud clicking noise. It does not do it all the time but it does it most of the time. I also know that it has a cable on it that open and closes that flap thing in the throttle body.

post-7125-1207589627_thumb.jpg

The thing in the front looks like your cruise control servo

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

The cruise control ?actuator? is the big thing in the bottom right corner.

Its not what's making the clicking noise. That's coming from the Idle Speed Control motor that buried below it.

Some clicking is normal. Sometimes when they're failing - or when the plunger has become over-extended - they'll start to click pretty loud.

The big question is whether you're having idle-speed problems. Usually when an ISC is failing you'll be getting an intermittent fast idle. In the worst case, it can get ugly.

If you're not having idle speed problems, it should be ok to leave it as is.

If you are then get a new one in there before things get ugly. An AC Delco replacement can be had for about $65.

A couple more thoughts - the only time I've gotten the loud clicking is when the plunger has over-extended when I forgot to plug in the throttle position sensor. Are you getting any codes that point to a possible TPS problem? And is it running and driving ok? (note that on our early northstars TPS problems seem to be rare relative to ISC problems..)

Thank you for the helpful information

The cruise control ?actuator? is the big thing in the bottom right corner.

Its not what's making the clicking noise. That's coming from the Idle Speed Control motor that buried below it.

Some clicking is normal. Sometimes when they're failing - or when the plunger has become over-extended - they'll start to click pretty loud.

The big question is whether you're having idle-speed problems. Usually when an ISC is failing you'll be getting an intermittent fast idle. In the worst case, it can get ugly.

If you're not having idle speed problems, it should be ok to leave it as is.

If you are then get a new one in there before things get ugly. An AC Delco replacement can be had for about $65.

the only code that I have is a P038 code

A couple more thoughts - the only time I've gotten the loud clicking is when the plunger has over-extended when I forgot to plug in the throttle position sensor. Are you getting any codes that point to a possible TPS problem? And is it running and driving ok? (note that on our early northstars TPS problems seem to be rare relative to ISC problems..)

I know when I crank up my car or just turn the ignition to on it make a loud clicking noise. The cable on it is bent a little. I can see when my car is making that clicking sound that it is the cruise control thing because it is trying to move but it cant. Not the Idle speed control motor.

post-7125-1207589627_thumb.jpg

P085 (E085) ........................................... Idle Throttle Angle Too High

This is the code that I have not that other one

This code fits with the problem you have. The car thinks the throttle plate is more open than it should be.

We can help you work through this if you'll address our questions. For starters:

1. Is your idle higher than it should be?

2. Does the cruise control work?

P085 (E085) ........................................... Idle Throttle Angle Too High

This is the code that I have not that other one

This code fits with the problem you have. The car thinks the throttle plate is more open than it should be.

We can help you work through this if you'll address our questions. For starters:

1. Is your idle higher than it should be?

2. Does the cruise control work?

yes my idle is way higher than it should be because when I finally get the car to stay crunk the idle is so high it seems like the car is gonna take off with it in park

I never use my cruise control. I have used it one time and I have not used it since when I used it then it worked just fine.

Ok. High idle.

So the likely possibilities are that something is holding the throttle blade open, or you have a big vacuum leak.

Lets assume its the throttle.....

Things that could hold the throttle blade open are:

- Boogered cruise control cable? - Can you disconnect it to get it out of the equation?

- Bad ISC motor -

- Dirty throttle body that's not letting the blade close all the way.

You need to pull the air box out and get the inlet hose off the throttle body. Work the throttle linkage and see if the throttle is closing all the way.

The ISC is located at the bottom of the linkage. It has a plunger that presses on the linkage. If its not retracting as it should, it will hold the throttle open.

My guess is the ISC isn't retracting. There is a routine in the OBD system that will retract the plunger. You can do it through the AC controls, but I don't have the specific steps with me now.

I still think the ISC is what's making the clicking noise. Its a common problem.

So dig into it and lets find out more.......

Archived