CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stabilizer bar bushings and links...

Hello!

This week I'm taking on the small project of replacing the end links and bushings on my 97 ETC. I've been on rockauto, and just have a quick question regarding the size of the bushings. On an ETC, will they be the 21mm bushing?

Secondly, I see a big price difference in the stabilizer end link prices. The cheapie service-quality $17 (Spicer brand) ones look more robust than the OEM $70 links. Is there a 'noticeable' difference between them? I figure the part is sort of digital - either it works, or it doesnt. (But I figured i'd ask, since hearing one's experience is worth its weight in gold!)

Thanks for the help!

-Scott

On my 96 ETC the bushings were 21mm. As for the endlinks I replaced mine with ones from Advance Auto. I think they were MOOG or TRW. Worked fine. Just note that the endlinks on these cars are a taper fit and if they are stuck they will be tough to get out. I ended up using 5lb sledge, drills and a dremel to get mine out.

Your ETC is probably 21mm bushings and even the base model for '97 probably has 21mm. My '94 base Eldorado has 19mm but the ETC has 21mm. I seriously doubt an ETC of any year will have 19mm sway bar bushings. As far as $17 end links--you get what you pay for. I just bought a ball joint and I could have purchased a cheapo Spicer but the price was so low I figured it was likely junk, so I bought the more expensive Moog brand. ;)

I ended up ordering the moog 21mm bushing, and the spicer 'service quality' links. I figure for the price, even if it works for just a year or so, I'm good.

I couldn't believe how much play I have in my original end-links with 106k on them! I could grab them and move them around almost freely. I have no doubt that they're the reason I'm getting some good "clunking" sounds!

I'll post the results once they're installed! Thanks for the help!

What were the symptoms that convinced you to replace them?

My car has developed a steering wheel "pop" that occurs turning left and right and strait ahead too. Mostly at slow speeds, occurs without turning the wheel and AWAYS going over bumps and almost aways during slow speed brakeing

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Its a low-pitched clunking (sounds like a rubbery-muffled sound). It can be completely blocked out by turning the radio up, but it can also be fixed!

Glad to hear the spicer-brand links work! I did some reading into them, and Spicer is made by Dana... the company famous for the exploding Jeep differentials! Is it Dana or Getrag who makes the rear diff on the SRX's that is noted for catching on fire? <_<

Glad to hear the spicer-brand links work! I did some reading into them, and Spicer is made by Dana... the company famous for the exploding Jeep differentials! Is it Dana or Getrag who makes the rear diff on the SRX's that is noted for catching on fire? <_<

I hope they work out for you... I would be hesitant due to the increased size... throws up red flags that they are made of inferior materials and the size has to be increased to get the strength... JMO though.

Jonah

Archived