CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Alternator

Jan Olsson

This weekend I´m going to use my fathers garage to change alternator.

I´ve got the Haynes repair manual and they suppose that I´ll have to dismount the radiator and cooling fans for changing, but I think it will be possible to take it from through the right wheelhouse and/or from under witch seems easier.

Anyone with suggestions of making this easy=fast ?

Ps. This would be on my STS

Last fall I was chasing an oil leak and had the fans removed and noted that the alt. was very visable. I remember thinking that it didn't look like that bad of a job to remove.

The fans can be removed easily. I'd try that first and see if that is enough to remove the alt.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Jan,

On my 94 sts, I found that is much easier on the knuckles if you remove the passenger side fan so you can have room to reach the bac 2 bolts on the Alternator, there are 4 bolts total that connect it to the car, 2 bolts in the front and the 2 in the rear, the top rear bolt does not cme all the way out as it butts up to the exhaust manifold, the othe 3 bolts do come out.

Also, you have to either remove the alternator out of the bottom by the farme after you line the alternator up to match the cutout opening, or out through the wheel well, I found it easier to come out from the bottom. There is a splash shield bolted to the passenger side frame with 4 bolts, located under the A/C compressor, after you remove the shield you will notice the odd shape of the opening, this is where after you get the alternator off you will save your nuckles and hand if you remove the pass. fan assembly, and losen the top hose and tuck the hose under the drivers side dogbone. This will give you room to twist the alternator into the correct position to drop out the bottom.

Good Luck,

John

John

I got mine out the bottom after trying to figure out how I was going to get it out the top :huh: .

It is much easier if you remove the pass fan as JBuckley mentioned.

I replaced mine with a new one after the owners 3 month out alternator had a bearing go out. I believe he paid about $ 300.00 for that little task.

Good luck

Dennis

Dennis

Thanks for all responses!

I´ve changed it and it took me a few hours but it was quite easy and a straight forward job. Now my lights are steady and that irritating bearing sound is gone.

Next thing would be to get a EGR valve thats not rattling and propably causing rough idle...a VERY expencive part here.

Archived