CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

USED TIRES

Hello,

I just put on some used front tires (FWD and 300HP) because my old ones were at the steel belt. Anyways, I was told by a friend that used tires are unsafe.. is that true in most cases or just sometimes? It was only $50 total for both. They look like I'll get about 12,000 miles. Michelins 225/60/16.

Thanks!

If used tires are unsafe, aren't we all riding on "used" tires? I don't understand his logic. If they are in good condition they should be no more unsafe than any other tire with the same milage.

Used tires are not unsafe, at least no more than used cars are unsafe. You just have to be aware of the fact that the previous owner removed them for a reason. Maybe he/she just wanted all 4 to look the same and only 2 were wore out. This would be the best case scenario. Maybe they were out of round and could NOT be balanced (worst case). Pretty obvious that they were not damaged in any way, or they would be obviously defective. Also obvious that they would hold air, or they would not be on the resale rack. Best advice I can think of, and I'm not a lawyer, is to know the guy you're dealing with, get some type of gaurantee ( this will probably be more of an agreement), try to get some background, and realize that you are not going to get 50,000 miles out of them.

If you are honest to yourself and the seller and realize that any problem you might encounter is NOT the seller's fault, you will be happy and save some valuable resources in the process. If you try to come back on the guy for selling you inferior tires for ANY reason, you are NOT being honest. He just hates to see good tires wasted, and is trying to save you some money. When you can afford it, return the favor and buy a full set of brand new Michelins from him.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Yeah, in general, used tires are as safe as the ones you just had on your car -- as soon as you drive on them, they're used. But nobody likes the "unknown". Why were the tires you bought available? Were they unbalanceable? Do they have flat repair patches all over them? Were they just worn out past what their previous owner was comfortable with? If you're comfortable with them, drive it and forget it. Just keep that spare aired up (as you would anyway) in case the improbable happens.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived