CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar & 4.9

Now that is an interesting question. I have both a 4.9 and NS. I have heard great things about both engines. My 4.9 had the main bearing noise but only when the engine is extremely hot. I think its a hard question to answer, however I think the 4.9 is a workhorse, and the NS is a thorough-bread that gets more than one-HP from each cu. in. that runs very clean and has neck snapping torque. I feel that they are both reliable and relatively trouble free. I think that proper maintenance over an engines life is the key to longevity. I am repairing my 91 as the engine is in such good shape and it rides terrific. Don't know if that helps, but this is a hard question, I like them both, the 4.9 is Dr. J, and the more advanced NS is Michael Jordan!! Mike

i don't mind my 4-9 being compared to Dr.J (whoever that is... :D jk) and, jordan has retired... the N* isn't yet! how about Kobe then? well, come to think of it, he's about to go to jail... not that any of this is relavent!

Here is how a basketball player and car lover explains it!

Without Julius Erving, there would not be a Michael Jordan!

Without the 4.9, there would not be a Northstar! The NS is an improvement over the 4.9 in many ways but they both are dependable if maintained well! Hope that makes this relevent! LOL... Mike

Archived