CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'92 Seville R134 conversion

Have been getting a low refrigerant message for years now (only when it's cold outside) but the A/C blows cold air okay. I've been quoted $199 to have it converted from R12 to R134. Shop says it's almost impossible to get R12 freon anymore. Is that true? Anyone done this conversion and were you satisfied? Thanks.

It's not "almost impossible" to get R-12....Have your A/C shop look at www.lenzdist.com - they have tons of R-12 available. There is also a ton of it for sale on ebay.... I bought some R-12 from Lenz last August and it was $25/can.

There was so much R-12 produced toward the end of 1995 in addition to the recovery/recycling that R-12 will be available for many, many years. The last new cars produced with R-12 are now 11 years old so the demand has fallen off. I will bet your A/C shop makes more money on the conversion vs adding a pound of R-12 to the system so that's the basis behind his story.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You just need to find a shop that knows what they are talking about. Do youself a favor and go somewhere else. My local HVAC only repair guy really knows his stuff, and has tons of R12. Max for a charge is about $150, usually you only need a pound or so for about $50. He also says most systems will not handle the extra pressure of the 134, and usually you will need all new seals and compressor if you want to do it right. That is big $$$.

Charge with R12 and forget about it.

Stay away from anything that is not pure R12. Some of those aftermarket junk mixes can ruin a complete system. I have no experience with that particular brand, but that is pretty much the general rule.

Archived