CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

new member 'kannutipper', Scotty-TO.,ON.,Canada

HI ALL: First time in the forum. With an longer problem created by my battery/booster service guy CAA, inadvertently closed, manual/forced my trunk lid down, and now it won't work---regularly. The Trunk re-lease-remote, from the glove box, open's it quite-ok. Except, NOW I can't get the trunk closed, period. I've done this in recent past, [but maybe the cold below zero weather is the new culprit], I doubt that! But by flicking either/both the rear end/trunk lock [upper/lower] assembly's, [small plastic arm portions] had to date been able activate it. The 'U' shape aluminum arm, pull-down motor assembly part, on an irregula basis. ---- if successful, you can then at least temporily, 'close the trunk lid'. IE: Until next time you by accident open the trunk, key/less/actuator by accident, and you have this repeat problem. Except now, I can't initiate this procedure. The actual key works ok, it's this electronic portion, maybe the relay accessory box, or motor pull-down motor has been damaged by these artificial means. Any suggestions. I notice AEW, has an whole system assembly, but wondered if there is some alternative, to an single part/piece replacement, or simply revert to new manual trunk lock mechanism, that would save an lot of headaches for me. I have de-activated the trunk light, so as not to run down the battery, Of course the trunk lid remains on an temporary fix-catch basis, but not actually 'closed shut tight', for better security.. Suggestions would be appreciated, from TO., ON. Canada. + k

On my 1997 Eldorado, the trunk latch isn't affected by slamming the trunk lid -- the entire latch mechanism has a give to it that accepts full closure of the trunk lid without damage. Your 1993 probably has that too.

It sounds like a sticking mechanism to me. In particular, if your 1993 SLS has the trunk latch that gives when the trunk lid is slammed, it may be sticking in the depressed position and thus not engage when the trunk lid is gently closed.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Remove and disassemble the pull down motor. Use some white lithium grease on all the moving parts and check the motor brushes. When my '92 quit working, I replaced the brushes and never had a problem again.

Note the position of the worm gear and put it back together the same way to avoid having to readjust it later.

HI Ranger: Say like the nam 'R/, eh! Thanx, the odd thing, when my strong wife, was shovelling snow up here to-day, had reason to go into the winter's cold garage, and noticed the trunk lid recessed, closed on it's own.

It must have picked up the repeated flicking, and simply activated itslef, after an rest or two. So it's 'pernickity', and your likely right about it being temporarily stuck, I thought it was stuck in the 'up' position, as the alum... u shape arm, was elevated, not depressed. def... do not, 'recall', that closing lid, flexibility and was warned not to shove the trunk lid, down-manually, but allow itself to activate, 'only'. If so, and I'll inquire somewhere, if there is an alternate close, for 93 Seville, but suspect it was damaged previously once or twice - only. So at best it's intermittant, and an pain when the 'good one', uses it to go to the mall, and can't store any great Buffalo - $$purchases, for an run on the border. We shall see, but/for, your suggestions, I'll give to an good mechanic, if I can get into the warmer spring weather. Maybe more INFO.. will come along, but that's an reasonable response. Thanx.. + k

Archived