CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Motorras

Caddy 54

Säg den glädje som varar. I går på utflykten så kraschade motorn. Ett väldans oljud. Var får jag tag på en ny motor,har ingenstans att meka själv. Lättast att få någon verkstad att slänga in nytt. Kanske jag säljer bilen så någon med resurser kan fixa till den. Bilen är fö i ett mycket bra skick. Nyss bytt bromsar runt om,inkl hjulcylindrar och p-boxar.

Motor 331 V8 -54.

Några kloka tankar????

Eilert

Is there a translation page that we could use so that we could try to help out here?

Cadillac used the 331 cid (5.425 l) engine from 1949 through 1955. This engine had a bore of 3 13/16 inches (96.8375 mm) and a stroke of 3 5/8 inches (92.075 mm). The 1954 engine is rated at 230 hp (180 kW).

In 1956 the bore was increased to 4 inches (101.6 mm) which increased the displacement to 364 cid (5.97 l). The engine was offered in two versions, 286 hp and 305 hp. In 1959 the stroke was increased to 3 7/8 inches which increased the displacement to 390 cid.

The horsepower ratings of the engines increased every year, from 160 hp in 1949 to 325 hp in 1963. The engine block and crankshaft were redesigned in 1963, although the displacement was the same 390 cid used since 1959. Displacement wasn't increased with the new engine until the next year.

If you are looking for a used replacement engine for your 1954 Cadillac, I believe that any year from 1949 thorugh 1962 will work without too much adaptation and without overwhelming your transmission. Since horsepower increased year by year, a later model year may be preferred to an earlier model year if you can't find a 1954 model year engine.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Hej igen,

Efter att ett antal s.k "experter" lyssnat och kliat sina huvuden så verkar man ganska eniga om att det är Flexplattan (FlyWheel) som är problemet. Men var hittar jag en flexplatta, har letat runt men det verkar vara tunt om flexplattor.

Tacksam för tips.

I övrigt önskar jag Er alla en riktigt God Jul och ett Gott Nytt År.

Eilert

• 2 weeks later...
Hej igen,

Efter att ett antal s.k "experter" lyssnat och kliat sina huvuden så verkar man ganska eniga om att det är Flexplattan (FlyWheel) som är problemet. Men var hittar jag en flexplatta, har letat runt men det verkar vara tunt om flexplattor.

Tacksam för tips.

Eilert

Har du kollat med Osbyskroten?

http://www.bildelarosby.se/

Bengt Olsson

Cadillac Club Sweden

99 STS Vogue Gold Edition

Corsa cat-back w gold tips

Is there a translation page that we could use so that we could try to help out here?

Cadillac used the 331 cid (5.425 l) engine from 1949 through 1955. This engine had a bore of 3 13/16 inches (96.8375 mm) and a stroke of 3 5/8 inches (92.075 mm). The 1954 engine is rated at 230 hp (180 kW).

In 1956 the bore was increased to 4 inches (101.6 mm) which increased the displacement to 364 cid (5.97 l). The engine was offered in two versions, 286 hp and 305 hp. In 1959 the stroke was increased to 3 7/8 inches which increased the displacement to 390 cid.

The horsepower ratings of the engines increased every year, from 160 hp in 1949 to 325 hp in 1963. The engine block and crankshaft were redesigned in 1963, although the displacement was the same 390 cid used since 1959. Displacement wasn't increased with the new engine until the next year.

If you are looking for a used replacement engine for your 1954 Cadillac, I believe that any year from 1949 thorugh 1962 will work without too much adaptation and without overwhelming your transmission. Since horsepower increased year by year, a later model year may be preferred to an earlier model year if you can't find a 1954 model year engine.

Thank you very much for your kind generosity to share your knowledge with us. No we don't have a formal translation page for this forum. You seem to have understood the problem anyways. The idea is to run this sub forum in Swedish. Most swedes understand English but some of us have a bit harder to express a problem in English, especially to find the correct technical terms etc. I'm the moderator of this sub forum and if needed I will try to translate certain items into English and forward them to the main Discussion forum. However we are very grateful for your help.

Bengt Olsson

Cadillac Club Sweden

99 STS Vogue Gold Edition

Corsa cat-back w gold tips

Thanks. I can read a little German, French, Spanish or Portuguese, and my wife can reply in French, but I can't do much with Swedish.

I did catch a link to a really impressive auto recycling site, which probably is the way to the future for this 1954 Cadillac. I would expect that it would be just as simple to switch the engine with transmission as to put in a used flexplate (flywheel), though.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks for tips.

After talking too "experts" I have decided to separate the transmission from the engine. If there is no noice when I start it up the probleme is in the transmission. Many people say it is the flywheel. They crack.

In the end of this month I will do the job and then we see what the probleme is.

I can´t change the engine because I miss the matching numbers and the car drop in price.

Thanks and I apologize my bad English.

Eilert

Hej igen,

Tacksam för tips.

Eilert

Har du kollat med Osbyskroten?

<a href="http://www.bildelarosby.se/" target="_blank">http://www.bildelarosby.se/</a>

Tack.

Har kollat men det har ju varit helger så jag har inte fått något svar än.

eilert

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nu grabbar ska ni få höra vad det var för problem. Ett ramlager hade skurit vid 2:a cylindern. Troligen hade det varit "förstoppning". Vevaxeln inlämnad för kontroll, går om jag har tur att slipa upp. Så det blir till att byta lager och ringar. I övrigt var motorn väldigt fin invändigt.

Archived