CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 Deville water pump removal

msb113

It's been done a few times; the most important item you need is the water pump cartridge "tool" available for rent from the moderator of this site.

Also, check with a Cadillac parts outlet, with your VIN handy, for the OEM pump cartridge, the pump cover, and pump cover gasket part numbers. It is worth a new thermostat and possibly drive belt also. Do not use aftermarket parts here.

Drain the coolant, slip the drive belt off the pump pulley, remove the hoses, remove the pump cover, remove the pump cartridge (rotate CW to remove). And you are half way home.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

As Jim stated, turn the pump cartridge CLOCKWISE to remove and COUNTERCLOCKWISE to install the new pump. If you reverse the procedure, you may bend the tabs and then the pump will be very difficult to remove.

The Northstar waterpump is one of the easiest pumps to change but you must have the socket tool.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

As Jim stated, turn the pump cartridge CLOCKWISE to remove and COUNTERCLOCKWISE to install the new pump. If you reverse the procedure, you may bend the tabs and then the pump will be very difficult to remove.

The Northstar waterpump is one of the easiest pumps to change but you must have the socket tool.

Thanks guys... Have the tool, will do it this weekend... dont know yet if it is the water pump or the gasget for the housing but that is where it is dripping from.

Mark

It is easy to do usually, however in some cases it can be difficult to loosen. So, if you can't budge it, be prepared as a fallback to rent or acquire an impact wrench.

I am no stranger to difficult mechanical challenges, but my water pump would not turn. Even with a lot of leverage (I mean a LOT!). That would only encourage the tool to slip off and round its points of contact. It is certainly possible that the aftermarket tool that I got was part of the issue. My engine had around 150k on it at the time, so perhaps that was a contributor as well.

Anyway, after hours of struggles and strategies and staring, I rented an electric impact wrench (yes, I am jealous of you guys with air tools!). It loosened the pump in seconds.

Have since purchased an inexpensive electric impact wrench with sockets for ~$100 (Lowes). Its bigger and heavier than an air tool, but has been well worth having. Air would be better, but that is not an option just now.

Have since purchased an inexpensive electric impact wrench with sockets for ~$100 (Lowes). Its bigger and heavier than an air tool, but has been well worth having. Air would be better, but that is not an option just now.

You know, I once had an air compressor with some air tools, but found it just wasn't worth the hassle, the noise, etc. That thick air hose would always get in the way laying under the car (I had no lift of course). And of course, you had a lot more maintenance with the air compressor and tools (oil, etc). With a large shop with a lift and ability to walk around under the car, it'd be different, but in my garage, I've never wanted air after having it. In fact, I sold my air compressor and air tools. I have an electric impact gun (it's probably as old as I am, Black and Decker I think, before they got cheap), and it's all I've ever needed. I think air is really over-rated for home use.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I don't use my air tools as much as I used to.... mainly because I have to drag out my compressor every time I want to use it....

But for certain things, it is great.

And for certain things, I have no clue how you do it without air tools....

Just an Update guys :)

Decided to tackle the little bugger tonight... New Pump & Gasket, Thermostat & why not, the Housing Gasket too.

Start time 6:30pm End time 7:50pm... Easiest pump I ever changed :)

Harder to get it loose then anything, slips back in once in line like a glove.

Thanks again for all the info :)

Mark

Glad it worked out ok ... sounds like it went pretty well.

As to the air tool controversy, there are always trade off's. The air tools require more infrastructure but are lighter and smaller. The electrics are easier to use put into use but are heavier and much larger. In the water pump situation, I was lucky because the electric tool only just fit into the space.

When replacing my fuel pump I did not have the impact tool. The nuts holding the straps that held the tank were so tight that even with a lot of leverage (36 inch aluminum pipe on the 3/8 socket wrench) I damaged my back ... took 6 months but its back to normal now ... with the impact tool, that episode would have never happened ...

Archived