CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Whats The Last Year For "Z" Tire Option??

dinkeydow1

Can anyone tell me what the last year that the "Z" rated tire option was offered on the STS. I have been enjoying this site for over a year now. Have read several posts from members telling me that they have the option....but I have never found any factory "Z" option on an STS as new as 2000 or newer. And I will tell you I have been looking... My local Auction (dealer only) where GMAC lease returns are auctioned ever Thursday nights. I have been checking for the "Z" tire option for over a year now...NONE. All I ever see is the "H" rated tire. And on EBAY as well. So I'm guessing that a 2000-2003 STS with the "Z" tire option and the 145-150 MPH speed limiter just is not made anymore ?? Any info. on what years were sold with this option would be a great help.

Thanks....

My '96 is a z and my Mom's 99 is, but my room mates 2k is a h series. And I haven't seen any newer than that. I like those hi speed cars. After I started looking it was a pretty common option. Not at all as rare as I thought. :( William.

I believe it was a Sport Package. Look for the 17" Tires Wheels. That should be the Z rated. I Don't think you will find one as a lease car.

post-3-1083101975.jpg

I have seen several 2001s W/ the Sport Package "17" tires. Still rated on door sticker as a "17" (H speed rated tire.) I have NEVER seen a 2000 STS W/ the "Z" rated tire from the factory. If anyone out there has A 2000 OR NEWER STS WITH A FACTORY INSTALLED "Z" RATED TIRE PACKAGE (On The Door Sticker) please let me know. Really I don't think the beast exists after 1999. But I have been know to wrong befor..... :blink:

This is just a repeat from a previous similiar question:

When I was looking last summer I found 3 2000 STS's with "Z" option. They has "Z" rated tires and son indicated they came that way from the factory via the sticker in the door jamb and the "Z" (I don't remember the actual code for it)code on the inside of the spare tire cove in the trunk.

My 2001 w/ sport option came with "W" rated tires and so indicated on the sticker in the door jamb. So my guess is, that perhaps 2000 was the last model year with the factory installed "Z" rated tires.

As I recall the speed rating is:

H: Up to 130 MPH

V: Up to 149 MPH

W: UP to 168 MPH

Y: Up to 186 MPH

Z: 149 MPH +

I am actually taking a SWAG (Scientific Wild *smurf* Guess) as far as the speed rating of W and Y rated tires.

But back to your original question ... yep, they are out there!

Jim White

The "high speed tire" option was available up until the end of production of the '03 STS. (It was not available on the '04 SLS.)

Up through the '00 model year, these tires were 16" and literally 'Z' rated (149+ mph). They became 17" and 'W' rated (up to 168 mph, I think) tires for '01, and were available only with the 17" wheels as a part of a "premium performance package" that included additional wood interior trim, HID headlamps, etc.

Vehicles that were built with this high speed tire option do exist, but they are relatively rare. Good luck in finding one, but don't think that they are nonexistent!

I'm no expert on tires and ratings but here is my thoughts on the z rating. My door has the w rating on it. Car came with the 17's. Bought Michelin Sport A/S 17ZR with a W speed rating. Does the W repalce the Z. Don't belive I have seen a ZR tire with a Z rating. I think the W repalced the Z. I have heard my 2001 STS fuel cutoff is at about 150mph. Never been there but looking forward to trying it.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Well my STS has the H tire option and I can tell you for sure that it goes well past 130 mph. I'm gonna double check the door tomorrow.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Archived