CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Quick question about strut mounts

acklac7

Already purchased a set of Arnott struts for the Eldo, planning on having them installed this weekend (hopeufully)

Quick question for you all though: Should I replace the strut mounts too? If so will/should aftermarket (moog) strut mounts be compatable with Arnott struts? And what about the rear mounts? all I could find on rock auto was some sort of spicer assembly (see pic)

spicer.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance guys :)

A.J.

YES YES YES...replace the mounts along with the struts. As long as the Arnott struts are made to be 100% compatible with the OE struts, I'd assume that a Moog mount would work. I'd call Arnott though, just to check and see.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I replaced mine with the Moog's but since then i cannot seem to get rid of a cracking/groaning noise when i turn the wheel.

just wanted you to know....

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

Definately replace the strut mounts, I used OEM. There are no strut mounts in the rear, the 'air shocks' bolt right in.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Glad I decided to do the mounts, just got off the phone with shop manager. Evidently the front right mount is stripped and they need to manhandle (destroy) it in order to remove it? They also said they have to "cut" out one of the rear shocks out b/c it simply won't budge? Sound fishy? (mind you my struts were fully shot @ 75,000..I got just under 100,000 on her now)

A.J.

Glad I decided to do the mounts, just got off the phone with shop manager. Evidently the front right mount is stripped and they need to manhandle (destroy) it in order to remove it? They also said they have to "cut" out one of the rear shocks out b/c it simply won't budge? Sound fishy? (mind you my struts were fully shot @ 75,000..I got just under 100,000 on her now)

I guess the bolt on the top of each rear strut stripped out. As a reasult they had to cut/blow torch them out. Haven't put enough miles on to really give their worksmanship a thumbs up or a thumbs down, but one things for certain, I feel alot safer going into bends @ 50mph! Noticed a little vibration with the drivers side, other than that everthing feels tight. I might add that these struts are crap compared to the OEM's (in terms of feeling bumps, potholes etc), however they keep the car stable and provide a much needed improvement in handling. You get what you pay for ;)

A.J.

Archived