CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help: 88 Deville steering column locking plate

bdiamond

1988 Cadillac Sedan Deville with tilt/telescopic steering wheel.

The turn signal lever came loose. In order to get to the screw, I pulled the steering wheel. But the normal GM locking plate remover that screws onto the steering shaft dosn't work because the telescoping shaft pulls out too far. However, I was able to pry off the "C" clip with a big screw driver and remove the locking plate.

But now I don't have a way to push the locking plate down far enough to reinstall the "C" clip.

Any Suggestions?

TIA

I had an 86 Corvette with the telescoping wheel. It's been awhile, but if I remember correctly you can lift and move the locking ring and handle on the detents and use it like a wrench to really tighten the steering shaft down enough to be able to use the steering locking ring puller to get the ring on. I can't remember if the column has to be all the way out or all the way in. Reverse the process to get it back to nominal tight for lock and loosening the telescoping function. I'm not at home but I think I still have the Helms manual that has the procedure for this. I will check.

Yeah, I fiqured it out about 10 min ago. I inserted a bolt into the shaft to lockup the telescope shaft (just like you said). And am using the standard push/puller to squeeze down the locking plate. However, it needs to go down about 1 mm more in order to get the "C" clip into the groves.

It is just not seating correctly.

Ok, I got the locking plate clip in.

One last problem. I broke the yellow plastic thing that clips on top of the locking plate. I think it is the base for the spring big spring that is in the steering wheel. Anyone if this part is the same for all GM vehicles of that vintage?

here is a picture of the paert:

http://www.glocktech.net/C/

Mid America Corvette has the part for $15 in stock. Below is the part number in their catalog

622-653 1970-82, 1984-89 Insulator, horn contact carrier w/ T&T (snap ring retainer) $14.99 In Stock

Archived