CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Test drove an 08 CTS DI3.6L w/performance collection

Today my Wife and I went over to the local Toyota dealer and looked at a Toyota Prius. Our younger son will be driving in January, so she plans to pickup a new car before then. The Toyota dealers are fairly difficult to deal with on the Prius. Toyota is controlling the inventory flow pretty tightly for the car, and the Dealers are happy to add multiple undercoating and paint protection packages on top of their already full profit levels.

After the Toyota fun, we went over to the local Cadillac dealer to look at the new CTS. They have several 08 CTSs on the lot, including multiple colors and configurations. Although I continue to love my light platinum 2005 CTS, I think that is NOT the best color for the 2008. The 2008 styling highlights chrome touches here and there, which are lost against the light platinum paint. The Crystal Red (tintcoat) is my favorite color for the new cars, followed by the White Diamond. I didn't see a Black Cherry, although I am guessing that would look good as well. I did see a Blue Chip, and it was okay but did not set off the chrome accents as well as the red.

We test drove a Red 2008 CTS with the DI3.6L, 6 speed auto, Performance Collection, and Lux I. It did not have the nav system. I was happy with the performance, but it of course is similar to the performance of my 05 CTS. Mine does not have the gear-selection option which was delivered beginning in 2006. Overall the CTS drove beautifully, as expected. The interior looked great, and the exterior looked marvelous.

The rear seats are more sculpted now, so that although the rear is a bench seat, the two outside positions are each more sculpted seats.

I was surprised with the outside rearview mirrors. I would say they are smaller than the ones on the previous model, and more stylized. I think after looking side by side that they are taller but not as wide and thus not as useful.

The new CTS has rear seat air vents, as the STS or DTS do, which the previous CTS model did not. This is a very good addition.

The temperature controls for the dual zone air conditioning are split to each side of the center console, so that the passenger control is on the passenger side, and the driver control on the driver side. I found the passenger control easy to use, but the driver control difficult to use while driving. I assume this from lack of familiarity, although the small digits and separately located controls do require some focus. I seldom need to change the climate control setting in every day use of my own CTS.

The Performance Collection 18" wheels look miles better to me than the base wheels. This besides the other real benefits to the Performance: Upgraded Seats + (TT6) HID headlamps, (CE4) headlamp washers, (T96) fog lamps, (P75) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) aluminum wheels with premium multi-coat painted finish, (QKE) P235/50R18 V-rated all-season blackwall tires, (G80) limited slip differential, (FE2) sport suspension and (J55) performance braking system.

I got a new 07 CTS-V catalog, but the Salesman was not able to produce a 08 CTS catalog; he offered to mail me one. Overall the Dealer was more than helpful, and I was happy we stopped in to see the new CTS. I am still saving my nickels and dimes to try to pay cash for my next Cadillac, but certainly if I were buying new today a red 08 CTS DI3.6L w/Performance Collection would be at the top of my list.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Obviously, you have excellent taste. Sounds like you drove an identical twin with mine.

Yes, the new CTS is a nice upgrade to my 05 CTS, but I am still on track to wait and buy a pre-depreciated example I hope.

The battery in the new car is in the trunk! It is behind a panel on the right side of the trunk.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The new CTS is defenitely the Caddy to have now.

The right size.I'm just hoping the new STS will be as exciting as the CTS.

I never thought I would say that the CTS is better looking than the STS,and I am.

Florin

Archived