CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

seville sls tire wear

unti87

I bought a 2001 SLS at 38000 with a new set of tires and had to replace them at 70000. They were rotated once. Dealer told me I had to rotate every 6500. (ok it says so in the manual). So they replace tires with michellin symmetry. I rotated tires at 76000 and now have 80000 and notice that I have ALOT more tread wear than the 80000 mile rating. One tire/ repair shop says the SLS suspension system goes bad after 30k and needs to be repaired often. He says this is a flaw in the SLS. Dealer gives me no help. How can I get a set of tires to last more tham 30k.

ALSO, in the span of 1 month, I the cruse control went out, traction control light is on, rear brake lights don't work(just the side two, bulbs and top bar lights good), and passgnger heated seat goes out. What gives?

....One tire/ repair shop says the SLS suspension system goes bad after 30k and needs to be repaired often. He says this is a flaw in the SLS.

Do not return to this place of business; these folks are blowing smoke up your skirt.

If tire wear is your number one concern, take the car to a trusted frame/alignment shop and ask them to inspect for evidence of collision damage repairs. One possibility you must eliminate is a previous damage repair that did not meet GM specifications.

Otherwise, selecting a different model tire could improve your tire mileage results. Or maybe adjusting your driving style?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

....One tire/ repair shop says the SLS suspension system goes bad after 30k and needs to be repaired often. He says this is a flaw in the SLS.

Do not return to this place of business; these folks are blowing smoke up your skirt.

If tire wear is your number one concern, take the car to a trusted frame/alignment shop and ask them to inspect for evidence of collision damage repairs. One possibility you must eliminate is a previous damage repair that did not meet GM specifications.

Otherwise, selecting a different model tire could improve your tire mileage results. Or maybe adjusting your driving style?

Never thought of doing that. Thanks. This car has been in the shop for warantee work (7/100 warantee) for boatloads of work including a new engine kit due to burning 1qt of oil/1000mi. along with the trunk leaking so much water that my spare was floating. ( the problem has recurred) Various sensors, engine mount, right front bearing, reverse sensors.........but now the warantee is up and it's all on my dime. I'd like to keep the car for another 3-4 yrs but don't want to put a ton of $ in it.

I agree completly...I personally only go to the dealership for must-have parts not found in the salvage yard...go to a tires plus and have them verify the balance of each tire and after that, investigate why your tires are wearing fast...these guys are cheap and will save you money/time in the future. Also, more so than the dealership, professional tire shops (not local hick shops run by an old man and a $8/hour worker) adhere more to the customer is always right policy...If they just checked the balance and pass you off as fine you can complain/demand for them to do a more comprehensive inspection/troubleshoot and they'll do it no questions asked...those national franchises want your long run business so they cater to you. Also a word of advice- do not buy the first set of tires they offer you, their mark-up is over double from manufactor! I have a buddy who works at tires plus and I got these kind of super all season tires (or something like that) for around $240 for the set of 4 at cost...they offer the set of 4 at $750! So yeah...check out a national franchise tire place and put that customer is always right attitude in motion...

What type of tire wear are you seeing? Uneven wear would be due to alignment, wear in the middle or at the sides but otherwise even indicates over and underinflated tires respectively.

Michelin Symmetry tires are soft tires and will wear faster than say the Michelin X radial.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived