CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

coolant change

gthompson6

Does anyone know where I can find pictures of a coolant change for 99 SEVILLE STS ? I printed out instructions from searching this site, but the terms and descriptions are confusing to me. I already have the Havoline dexcool and my pellets.

As usual, thanks to all who respond for helping the less experienced.

If anybody has pictures, or knows where the are on the site, it's Bodybfisher. However, changing the coolant is really quite simple:

• The coolant will come out of the lower radiator hose. Put a pan capable of holding at least 3 gallons under the radiator by the driver's side.
  • With the engine cold, remove the surge tank cap.
  • At the lower radiator hose on the driver's side, loosen the clam and pull the hose off. Let the water drain into the pan. Since the thermostat is closed, that last couple of quarts will take awhile. Be patient.
  • If you are so inclined, you can open the radiator drain petcock which is below the lower hose that you just removed. It's plastic and suppposed to be turned with the fingers. I used pliers the one time I opened mine. It only turns 90 degrees.
  • When the radiator and hose finally stop draining, put the pellets in the lower hose and put it back on the radiator. Refill through the surge tank with 50% antifreeze. The red is best but if you drained out green it will still need to be changed before two years is up. The system holds about 3 gallons. Use distilled water (about 50 cents a gallon at Wall Mart) if you are so inclined.
  • When you have as much antifreeze mix as you the surge tank will take with the level about 2 inches (5 cm) below the opening for the cap, start the engine and let it idle. Let it work out the air and keep water in the surge tank. Do NOT fill it higher than about 2 inches below the top.
  • When it stops putting air out of the system, put the cap back on the surge tank and drive the car for about 20 minutes, or until it is fully warmed up and then another five minutes or so.
  • Park the car and let it cool off. When the engine is cool, remove the surge tank cap and fill to about 2 inches below the cap.
Have a nice day.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

JimD: Better. Thanks.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If anybody has pictures, or knows where the are on the site, it's Bodybfisher. However, changing the coolant is really quite simple:
  • The coolant will come out of the lower radiator hose. Put a pan capable of holding at least 3 gallons under the radiator by the driver's side.
  • With the engine cold, remove the surge tank cap.
  • At the lower radiator hose on the driver's side, loosen the clam and pull the hose off. Let the water drain into the pan. Since the thermostat is closed, that last couple of quarts will take awhile. Be patient.
  • If you are so inclined, you can open the radiator drain petcock which is below the lower hose that you just removed. It's plastic and suppposed to be turned with the fingers. I used pliers the one time I opened mine. It only turns 90 degrees.
  • When the radiator and hose finally stop draining, put the pellets in the lower hose and put it back on the radiator. Refill through the surge tank with 50% antifreeze. The red is best but if you drained out green it will still need to be changed before two years is up. The system holds about 3 gallons. Use distilled water (about 50 cents a gallon at Wall Mart) if you are so inclined.
  • When you have as much antifreeze mix as you the surge tank will take with the level about 2 inches (5 cm) below the opening for the cap, start the engine and let it idle. Let it work out the air and keep water in the surge tank. Do NOT fill it higher than about 2 inches below the top.
  • When it stops putting air out of the system, put the cap back on the surge tank and drive the car for about 20 minutes, or until it is fully warmed up and then another five minutes or so.
  • Park the car and let it cool off. When the engine is cool, remove the surge tank cap and fill to about 2 inches below the cap.
Have a nice day.

See, here is where the confusion is. I'm not sure where the lower radiator hose is. Is it accessed from under the car, or from the top of the engine ? The hose coming from the radiator I saw doesn't look like a lower one.

Access it from the top. Remove the air filter box and you'll have access to it. Personally, I would open the drain valve on the bottom of the radiator as it is the lowest point and will drain more coolant. There is an access hole in the air dam under the left side. Then remove whatever hose is easiest to access to put the tabs in.

Archived