CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CHANGE OIL PAN GASKET = $400 ???

safleming72

THE OIL PAN GASKET LEAKS PRETTY BAD ON MY NORTHSTAR AND I WAS TOLD THAT THEY HAD TO LIFT THE ENGINE IN ORDER TO GET THE PAN OUT, OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, AND WAS GOING TO RUN $400. DOES THIS SOUND LEGIT AND HOW HARD WOULD IT BE TO CHANGE ON MY OWN. ANY INFO IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

THE OIL PAN GASKET LEAKS PRETTY BAD ON MY NORTHSTAR AND I WAS TOLD THAT THEY HAD TO LIFT THE ENGINE IN ORDER TO GET THE PAN OUT, OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, AND WAS GOING TO RUN $400. DOES THIS SOUND LEGIT AND HOW HARD WOULD IT BE TO CHANGE ON MY OWN. ANY INFO IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Yes the engine does have to be lifted or the undercarriage has to drop. If you are getting it done for $400 that is a deal. If I remember, it costs around $1000-1500. Some people have had success loosening all the bolts and working some RTV into the crack. Be carefull not to push too much sealant into the pan. Some bolts can be hard to get to though.

Be sure its the pan gasket and that you are not leaking from the case half. You might try using a high mileage oil, it has more seal conditioner and might help, also going to Delvac 15w40 might help. My 96 was leaking badly and it has since stopped greatly since I went to Delo 15w40..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You would not be able to replace the gasket without a lift and/or dropping the engine cradle in order to remove the oil pan. The gasket is rubberized and fits into a groove in the pan. Once oil hits the gasket it will expand and seal the pan. I suggest you check the oil pan bolts to make sure they’re properly torqued. Don’t tighten them too much because you can strip the threads. You can remove all but three pan bolts. Two problem bolts are located on the left side, rear corner and one is on the back of pan towards the left side. The left corner bolt is 13mm and is recessed between the transaxle and the other two are also recessed. You probably would be able to get at them with a 1/4-inch socket driver. But the 13mm bolt has very limited space in which to get a socket around. You would have to use a short socket or cut a socket to have a chance to get around the bolt. If you’re desperate you can remove all the bolts you can and carefully use a screw driver on the right side near the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley and pry open the pan about 1/8-inch and put a small amount of gasket sealer between the block and pan. This method will not allow you to seal the entire pan but it may help to slow the leak.

As far as cost, $400 dollars sounds very reasonable considering the labor involved.

Archived