CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1997 Sts lower balljoints and bushings

rat rod1

Hey guys I have a 1997 sts

Iam looking for lower balljoints and bushings for the lower tables for a 1997 Sts.Now I have gone to my local parts shop and they have no listing for the lower table or bushings , So I went today for a drive to the states , Thinking that they should have a listing for the car , But it came u p with the same ...NA ,,, so I was wondering if any 1 knows of a place online that I can get the parts I need ... Thank you Giuys for your help on this

TRW #104152 lower ball joint fit my '97 Eldorado (listed for '96 and fits '97). You have to grind the heads off the old rivets, drill out the center and knock the rest of the rivet out (they are TOUGH). The screws that come with the new ball joint won't quite fit through the control arm so you have to open up the rivet holes in the lower control arm from 7/16" to 1/2" (check the dimension before you start as I'm working from memory).

I bought my ball joint at Autozone.

TRW #104152 lower ball joint fit my '97 Eldorado (listed for '96 and fits '97). You have to grind the heads off the old rivets, drill out the center and knock the rest of the rivet out (they are TOUGH). The screws that come with the new ball joint won't quite fit through the control arm so you have to open up the rivet holes in the lower control arm from 7/16" to 1/2" (check the dimension before you start as I'm working from memory).

Great I will do that this week and let you know how I made out ...do you have any tricks for the bushing ??

Great I will do that this week and let you know how I made out ...do you have any tricks for the bushing ??

I didn't replace the bushing - it was in good shape, though the front end is starting to "clunk" now.

Thank you will give it a try and see ....If any knows of a place that I can get aftermartket shocks for this car .It would be great . I would like to get rid of the air ryde ...and just have gas shocks ...cheers !

The car does not have AIR RIDE, air ride is the Lincoln where it uses air bags on all 4 corners. You have load leveling air shocks in the rear. You can put passive struts on the front and passive air shocks on the rear of your car. If you eliminate the AIR SHOCKS in the rear you will need to put in the proper SPRING to keep the ride height correct, I dont know anyone who did that ever.

What is it you don't like about the load leveling rear suspension with its active air shocks?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived