CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Driving without EBTCM

quadsourcemark

I seen in the caddy info forums were someone had an issue with his TCS / ABS and some how determined it was the EBTCM. He wanted to have the unit re-conditioned and wanted to know if he could remove it and still operate his car. He was told yes but to cover the connector to keep it from getting dirty. Well as some of you know I've had TCS / ABS issues after some exhaust welding. Anyway the TCS / ABS issues were affecting drivability. This causing my car to sputter and surge at random. So today I disconnected the EBTCM connector. I drove it 20-25 min with no drivability issues. Now with that said could it still be a wiring or PCM issue? Also premium gas verse regular unleaded...can I run either? One other thing...on EBay they sell an aluminum elbow with an opened K&N style filter. Any benefit in regards to fuel economy or performance. I'm not sure if that set-up will offer the protection of stock filter. I was not sure if I should lump questions together or break them up for future searches. Thank you all for your continued help

Best regards,

Mark

We've had several threads on aftermarket air cleaners and performance changes, particularly the K&N. Thumbnail:

• Your existing air cleaner is a cold air system. It draws cold air from behind the grille near the left headlight.
  • The underhood temperatures of the Northstar cars is very high. A "cool air" system that draws underhood air won't do as well as the factory setup.
  • The K&N air cleaner elements, even the OEM replacements, show no improvement in performance. See link below for tests.
  • The K&N air cleaner elements don't filter as much dirt as stock.
  • No air cleaner element provides better overall performance than the OEM AC/Delco air cleaner element.
Links to one test of an aftermarket air filter:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/airboxvscone.htm

Look around on this site for more.

As far as the EBTCM, I'll let others answer.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

We've had several threads on aftermarket air cleaners and performance changes, particularly the K&N. Thumbnail:
  • Your existing air cleaner is a cold air system. It draws cold air from behind the grille near the left headlight.
  • The underhood temperatures of the Northstar cars is very high. A "cool air" system that draws underhood air won't do as well as the factory setup.
  • The K&N air cleaner elements, even the OEM replacements, show no improvement in performance. See link below for tests.
  • The K&N air cleaner elements don't filter as much dirt as stock.
  • No air cleaner element provides better overall performance than the OEM AC/Delco air cleaner element.
Links to one test of an aftermarket air filter:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/airboxvscone.htm

Look around on this site for more.

As far as the EBTCM, I'll let others answer.

Thanks Jim. I know the Northstar creates a lot of heat. Drawing from the bottom would be cooler. I pulled the PCM and noticed the carrige was filled with fluid. Why is that?

Thanks,

Mark

Driving with the EBTCM connector off will cause 2nd gear starts. This obviously kills performance and gas mileage. It does not make sense to me.

Now if there was some way to hack the PCM and get rid of the default 2nd gear start... then basically all you are doing is disabling traction control and ABS, and that's not AS big of a deal.

Thanks Jim. I know the Northstar creates a lot of heat. Drawing from the bottom would be cooler. I pulled the PCM and noticed the carrige was filled with fluid. Why is that?

Thanks,

Mark

What kind of fluid? If it got into the PCM or a connector, that may be the source of your problem.

Thanks,

Mark

What kind of fluid? If it got into the PCM or a connector, that may be the source of your problem.

I'm not sure what kind of fluid it is. I heard it moving around when I pulled it out. It must be filled for a reason. I don't know how it could be filled without removing the plug. I've only had the car for about 3 weeks. The case that holds the PCM is hollow and filled with fluid. I pulled both PCM connectors and checked for bent or dirty pins in the PCM and connector. They were as clean as NEW! The EBTCM in the front by the cooling fan, can you remove the electronics without disrupting the brake lines? This is a bummer for me because the car was perfect when I got it. Owned since new by an 87 year lady. Tack welded the exhaust tip without un-hooking battery, PCM, EBTCM, etc. and my stuff's all jacked up! I know better :(

The case that holds the PCM is hollow and filled with fluid.

NO fluid around there that I am aware of. Maybe a plugged drain hole. The PCM should be in a dry environment.

It has a plastic push plug in the side. I can take a picture of it. I guess I can pull the plug and see how much comes out.

Mark

Archived