CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

03 CTS NO FM

caseykallhoff

:welcomesmiley:

You can tune the radio when on the FM band, but it does not receive any stations? That seems more like an antenna connection problem, although it seems that would normally effect all bands. Was the radio ever out of the CTS or changed? Did they give any other clues as to why they think it is a reprogramming issue?

I also see this note:

The VDO radios, that is the non-navigation entertainment options, RPO U2R and U2S, have a feature that allows the driver to select a distance or local antenna personalization function. The default for VDO is local, which only selects or receives the strong stations in the operating area. A recent change was made to change this default to distance. For those of you who are delivering vehicles to rural customers, or if you have serviced customers with radio reception concerns, try changing the default to distance. This is accomplished by pressing the tuner knob once to access the main menu on the DIC. Turning the knob clockwise or counterclockwise until the radio tower symbol appears. Pressing the knob will toggle the selection from local to distance. Remember to memorize the setting by pressing and holding the number one and two buttons on the driver[rsquo ]s door panel after activating the respective number one and two key fobs. This is Brian Combs, Brand Quality Manager for the CTS.

and separately this diagnosis:

In order to isolate the source of the noise/poor reception, identify the ignition switch position that the concern is most noticeable:

Turn the ignition switch to the accessory position.

Turn ON the radio.

Seek up 88-108 FM then 550-1600 AM.

Record the number of valid radio stations where the tuner stops.

Repeat these steps with the ignition ON, and the engine OFF then again with the engine running.

Return the ignition switch to the position that the concern was most noticeable.

Remove fuses or circuit breakers one at a time until the noise has been eliminated.

Identify what systems or components are powered by the fuse.

Reinstall all fuses and circuit breakers.

Disconnect the components powered by the fuse one at a time until the concern has been eliminated.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I actually had an issue when I got my Caddy from my grandfather. He had it fitted with an old CB radio and police scanner that used crystals, and it would interfere with AM and FM bands and cause static. I removed them immediately and replaced them with newer products. It's a long shot but if you have something like that I'd recommend removing it.

I tried the the local and distant and that did nothing in any key position! I have good AM stations and it will not find any FM stations. It worked fine for about 2 months and then for a while I would drive for about 10 minutes and then the stations would sound scrambled, now it willnot play anything but static on FM. The Radio has never been out or switched. There is an amp hooked up for the sub but that is just on a line input from a speaker and the cd works great. The dealership says that the can reprogram(like it lost prgraming somehow) Please help!!!!

Unfortunately, some of the steps require a Tech II, which is a $2K or so electronic scanner the dealer uses.

I was hoping that the rest of the info would be useful in terms of things that you can check.

On the 03 CTS I believe that you can get into diagnostics mode and read codes by putting the ignition into battery mode, then simultaneously pressing and holding the F1 and F6 radio buttons. Later CTS's lost this feature.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived