CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'94 Eldo Bose Gold Stereo

Ion

The CD player died a couple years ago and I've been looking on eBay for a replacement. I have found an exact duplicate, but have also found one that is exactly the same, except for the screenprinted logo on the lower left corner and...it costs less. This one has "Active Audio" printed on it, instead of my existing "Delco Bose Gold". Is there a substantial difference bewteen the two units?

The CD player died a couple years ago and I've been looking on eBay for a replacement. I have found an exact duplicate, but have also found one that is exactly the same, except for the screenprinted logo on the lower left corner and...it costs less. This one has "Active Audio" printed on it, instead of my existing "Delco Bose Gold". Is there a substantial difference bewteen the two units?

I checked into this when my CD player went south. I think that in 94 there was no difference in the "Active Audio" and the Bose. I am no expert though. What year is the replacement out of?

What year is the replacement out of?

The ad said '93-'94 Deville, but as I said, the only visible difference was the screenprinted logo.

I am pretty sure that in 94 they dropped the "Bose" name and made it "Delco Active Audio". My 94 owners manual does not show a "Bose" radio option. I would say no difference.

I am pretty sure that in 94 they dropped the "Bose" name and made it "Delco Active Audio". My 94 owners manual does not show a "Bose" radio option. I would say no difference.

My '94 Eldo has the Bose Gold, which is the original stereo.

I do think there is a difference.

SLS from around that year came by default with the standard audio and as an option the Bose.

STS came by default with the Bose equipment.

I think i have seen a 98STS with Bose printed on it.. but i am not sure anymore.

Marc.

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

I can't find any info on the Internet that relates the Bose and Active Audio options as the same. What I gather is that the Active Audio was standard while Bose Delco Gold was an upgrade. But I'm willing to bet that upgrade had nothing to do with the dashboard unit, rather it was the number of speakers and with Bose speakers in place of the standard. I'd say it's a safe bet to go for the Active Audio unit.

BTW, the CD Player may be an easy fix. Usually when they die its the motor that rotates the CD, which isn't too hard to replace. It could be the laser or any number of parts, in which case it isn't worth fixing it, but if you are going to be taking the unit out anyway you might as well test it to see if it's indeed the motor. That would be as simple as putting in a CD and seeing if it turns around. I plan on doing that with my broken CD player as soon as I get some of the more serious problems on the car taken care of.

BTW, What the hell are you doing using CD's, my grandmother uses those (records actually) ; )

Take a look into a cassette adapter, the quality isn't as good as a modern CD player (Nothing is as good as CD quality, that's going by bit rates, MP3 is the closest you'll get). However, the CD players you'll find in our era of Caddy's were early one's, so some have trouble with CD-/+R's and forget about CD-/+RW's and they don't read at as fast a rate as modern CD players do. Bottom line is a tape cassette adapter would present you with equal quality as the CD player would on that particular unit. Maybe even an FM transmitter would work, but they usually have a weak signal which would be even worse since our antenna's are at the back of the car.

Archived