CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

failed smog test

yoeman

You might want to try an emission testing facility that does not do repairs and thus has no conflict of interest. We have a number of these type of outlets here in Ontario but perhaps they do not exist in your location.

What part of the smog test failed - NOx or Hydrocarbons? That information will point to the problem area.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

What part of the smog test failed - NOx or Hydrocarbons? That information will point to the problem area.

it failed the hydrocarbons and not by much.The car does run a little rough at idle and it smells very rich when cold.

Hi, I just had mine inspected in NY, and it passed by such a wide margin that I was shocked. The guy doing the inspection said that the NS engine almost always passes easily, he had one himself. How many miles are on your engine? My Seville's cat passed by a slim margin when it had 95K on it, when I replaced the CAT is was better. Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator maybe you are dumping extra fuel? Mike

I have also heard as Larry stated that you are better off if the engine is well warmed up. Have you checked to see if you have an codes set? Mike

Mike can you tell me how to pull up the codes or can I find that on the site

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER (might be PASSENGER WARMER on the Seville) buttons til all segmets of the DIC light up as a check. Then release the buttons and the current as well as history code will be displayed.

Thanks Larry, maybe we will find out that he has an EGR malfunction hopefully, Mike

I have lots of history but 1 c 1753 What would that be ? I m also looking for a fault code for the load level system as it is out.

Thanks Larry, maybe we will find out that he has an EGR malfunction hopefully, Mike

Sorry, Mike. Didn't mean to answer for you but I didn't see your name on the active user list and thought I'd try to help the guy out.

Sorry, Mike. Didn't mean to answer for you but I didn't see your name on the active user list and thought I'd try to help the guy out.

fault codes are p0147 and rss 1738c It looks like the 0147 is the 02 sesor should I change that ? What is the rss 1738

Thanks

1997 STS

I have had 2 of my o2 sensors set codes about every 2-3 months. I just clear them and will continue to do so until they become more than occassional. Come to think of it I am about due. Is it current or history? Just clear it and see if it comes back. If it is current and stays current, then you may have to replace it.

RSS is road sensing suspension but I can't tell you exactly what that particular code means at the moment (no manual infront of me).

Not at all Larry, I actually meant THANKS, LOL!!! You got there before me and that was good!!

Yoeman, the O2 sensor problem if it is current is probably the reason you are running rich. Is it current or history.

I just found out something interesting, NY inspection going forward is going to check for codes, probably a good think for those drivers out there that drive with the CHECK ENGINE light on! Mike

Not at all Larry, I actually meant THANKS, LOL!!! You got there before me and that was good!!

Yoeman, the O2 sensor problem if it is current is probably the reason you are running rich. Is it current or history.

I just found out something interesting, NY inspection going forward is going to check for codes, probably a good think for those drivers out there that drive with the CHECK ENGINE light on! Mike

The code p0146 is current and will not clear so the big question is should I change the cat and sensor or just the 02 sensor. The part is $140.00 cdn so Its not cheap but if it works that is great. Any thoughts

thanks

Yoeman, do what bbobynski suggested above regarding the FPR, you will note that one of my earlier posts suggested the FPR also.

You are new to the site so you probably don't know that when it comes to CADILLAC/GM, BBOBYNSKI walks on water!!! There's god then theres BBOBYNSKI!!! BBOBYNSKI's the MAN!!!

Let us know what you find out about the FPR!!! Mike (low on the totum pole compared to Bbobynski!!! LOL)

duh......

Read this series of posts and you will definitely question MY credibility. You win a few and loose a few. Trouble is, it takes just ONE aweshit to wipe the slate clean......

I missed that is was current also in the first post © however with Larry saying that his set a code on and off I kind of disregarded it as intermittant......

What I had noticed was the Yoeman had not checked the FPR yet... HOWEVER, bbobynski is the MAN regardless!!! Mike

Let us know how this turns out Yoeman...

duh......

Read this series of posts and you will definitely question MY credibility.  You win a few and loose a few.  Trouble is, it takes just ONE aweshit to wipe the slate clean......

I missed that is was current also in the first post © however with Larry saying that his set a code on and off I kind of disregarded it as intermittant......

What I had noticed was the Yoeman had not checked the FPR yet... HOWEVER, bbobynski is the MAN regardless!!! Mike

Let us know how this turns out Yoeman...

Bob can I drive down from Vancover so you can rebuild my Caddy. I do trust Larry and Scott to.Thanks for the help and I will let you know in a few days

Archived