CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air Bag Code SDM1147

pos2nat

My cousin's '98 deville concours Air Bag light is on with the Service Air Bag message. The trouble code is SDM1147. Can anyone help identify this code? Thank you.

B1147 Driver Side Air Bag System Malfunction

U1147~U1151 Loss of serial communications for class 2 devices

SDM Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module

I believe that your codes is B1147, not U1147, since you have a Service Air Bag message. According to the 1997 FSM, page 9J-60 through 9J-64, this means that the resistance of the air back deployment circuit isn't right, that its' shorted or open. The air bag control module is the SDM, and it asks the side impact sensing module (SISM) to run the test every time the ignition is turned on and sets the code if the air bag doesn't pass, or if it doesn't hear back from the SISM. So, this is the side air bag in the door, not the one in the steering wheel hub.

If this is a temporary glitch, you should be able to turn the key off, wait a few seconds, turn it on again, and not get an error message. If the "Service Air Bag" message comes on every time and the DTC is Current (not History) then there is a problem with the wiring, the air bag, the SISM, or, there has been a side impact that scared the SISM and possibly deployed the side air bag.

Working with air bags is dangerous. You should have a FSM (factory shop manual) and know your way around it, and follow all safety recommendations in it when you work on air bags, or any assembly such as the steering column or radiator, that require working with the air bag or its sensors. If you are at all uncomfortable, your dealer or a body shop that your insurance company endorses as competent and reliable can do the work for you.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

B1147 Driver Side Air Bag System Malfunction

U1147~U1151 Loss of serial communications for class 2 devices

SDM Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module

I believe that your codes is B1147, not U1147, since you have a Service Air Bag message. According to the 1997 FSM, page 9J-60 through 9J-64, this means that the resistance of the air back deployment circuit isn't right, that its' shorted or open. The air bag control module is the SDM, and it asks the side impact sensing module (SISM) to run the test every time the ignition is turned on and sets the code if the air bag doesn't pass, or if it doesn't hear back from the SISM. So, this is the side air bag in the door, not the one in the steering wheel hub.

If this is a temporary glitch, you should be able to turn the key off, wait a few seconds, turn it on again, and not get an error message. If the "Service Air Bag" message comes on every time and the DTC is Current (not History) then there is a problem with the wiring, the air bag, the SISM, or, there has been a side impact that scared the SISM and possibly deployed the side air bag.

Working with air bags is dangerous. You should have a FSM (factory shop manual) and know your way around it, and follow all safety recommendations in it when you work on air bags, or any assembly such as the steering column or radiator, that require working with the air bag or its sensors. If you are at all uncomfortable, your dealer or a body shop that your insurance company endorses as competent and reliable can do the work for you.

Thanks, Jim.

Some info:

EDIT 1: Oops, sorry. I can't upload 2007 Word.docx files. I converted it to 2003 Word.doc, but it becomes too large to upload (169KB).

EDIT 2: Here's the first half of the document. Let me know it you'd be interested in the remainder.

Regards,

Warren

239636A.doc

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Some info:

EDIT 1: Oops, sorry. I can't upload 2007 Word.docx files. I converted it to 2003 Word.doc, but it becomes too large to upload (169KB).

EDIT 2: Here's the first half of the document. Let me know it you'd be interested in the remainder.

Regards,

Warren

Thanks Warren. We'll run some tests this weekend and hopefully find a disconnected wire. Now we know where to look.

Archived