CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mourningcloak Butterfly

I've never seen a Mourningcloak butterfly in New Jersey. It's the official State butterfly of Montana. Anyone ever see one?

mourningcloak1.jpg

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

No, but I've see a fat squirrel pull down a trellis next to a bird feeder in our back yard.

That's a beautiful butterfly and a beautiful picture. What's the range of this butterfly?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

No, but I've see a fat squirrel pull down a trellis next to a bird feeder in our back yard.

That's a beautiful butterfly and a beautiful picture. What's the range of this butterfly?

As I understand it, the Mourningcloak is probably the longest lived butterfly, living about 10 or 11 months and can even survive through the winter by hibernation. It's a large butterfly as well. It's range takes it all over the USA and even into Canada. In England it's known as a Camberwell Beauty, it's much desired in England but because of some unknown reason, they don't breed well in England and are very rare. They are, like all butterflies, considered the "canary in the coal mine" as they are a very good indicator as to how healthy the environment is.

The photo would have been better if the butterfly didn't decide to start flapping his/her wings while I was trying to take the picture. :lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

It's range is all over North America and parts of Europe -- is the Mourningcloak butterfly originally indigenous to America, or did it come from Europe?

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

It's range is all over North America and parts of Europe -- is the Mourningcloak butterfly originally indigenous to America, or did it come from Europe?

From what I've read, it's a native american species that the English would love to breed but for some odd reason, they can't.

Large portions of North America have very much the same terrain and climate as the British Isles. Only the butterfly knows, for now.

Large portions of North America have very much the same terrain and climate as the British Isles. Only the butterfly knows, for now.

True, but not the same pollution or the same type of pollution. England has much higher air pollution than the USA, or so says a few people I know who live there. I'm just guessing but I think the butterfly just can't live in England because of the pollution, but again, it's just a guess.

Probably a very good guess, I would say.

Archived