CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Towing with all 4 wheels on the ground

stswrx

Dumb question.

I need to tow my 99 STS about 3 miles down the road to the garage where I'll be taking it apart. The manual says not to tow the car with all 4 wheels on the ground. The only reason I can think of for this is because of damage that might occur when dragging it around corners. If the car is in neutral, and there is someone steering it, that should be fine?

Also - There are no tow hooks on the front of the car. There are 3 holes in the piece of frame that runs under the axle. Any reason I shouldn't attach a tow rope to these?

Thanks.

The automatic transmission has no oil pump on the output shaft. This is true of most automatic transmissions and anways has been. Never tow an automatic tramsission car with the wheels on the ground, even in neutral.

Exceptions: see owner's manual and manufacturer. Typical are 1 to 5 miles maximum at speeds not to exceed 35 mph.

Any professional towing service will have a dolly to keep the drive wheels off the ground. If you're looking to do it yourself, measure the distance with another car to make sure that it's just 5 miles, and take another look at your owners' manual or call your dealer about it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The automatic transmission has no oil pump on the output shaft. This is true of most automatic transmissions and anyways has been. Never tow an automatic tranmission car with the wheels on the ground, even in neutral.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Actually the original 4 speed hydramatic from 1938 to 1955 had a rear pump and would even kick start (roll start)

the car.

It was a great tranny and used by a lot of other cars ,Caddy,Pontiac, Hudson Hornet etc. Even ford used it in the lincoln for a few years when the fordomatic wouldn't stand up to the bigger engine.

I believe B&M got their start building it up for racing.

Too bad GM ruined it in 56.

Bob B

stswrx, The part about no oil pumped in the trans is the real reason. A short distance at low speeds should be fine. If you want to be extra cautious start the engine for a short while in the middle of the trip to circulate some fluid through the trans bushings. 15 seconds should be enough.

Archived