CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Starting Saga, Part II

Okay,..after having my starter checked "good" at an alternator shop, I took it home grounded the case to the car frame and jumped across the solenoid with the starter battery cable and it buzzed like a P51 mustang, hence, my starter cable is good (I had done this prior to taking it to the shop, but I must not of had it grounded good as it did not turn, but the shop ran the heck out of it).

Now I re-install it and put the intake back together, and for 'giggles and grins", turn the key, AND ALAS, the car turns over and starts. I let it idle for about ten minutes and kill a few mosquitos in the process with the phenolic spacer plate cleaning. So now I'm wondering why would the car not turn-over a few days earlier...

I back the car up, turn it off, and wash the debris off it from a bad storm over the weekend. I decide to take it for a spin, but now, only a few minutes later, it will not turn-over.

I try my other set of keys as the Caddy Service guy says it could be the "PassKey" (as he calls it), or the key cylinder. Neither set of keys work. So now I'm think'in its the key cylinder. Anyone have any experience with R & R on this animal?

Also, anyone know the torque value on a 93'-94' Caddy 4.6L intake (it can't be much, I just snugged the four screws) ??

if I understood you correctly the car started when you put a JUMPER fro m your battery + lead to the solenoid. and after you removed the jumper the car started a couple of times and later refused to start. right? IT IS NOT THE KEY or whatever else. IT IS BAD CABLES?CONNECTIONS. Just put more or less permanent and safe JUMPER from the battery+ right to the starter and drive the car till it dies.

That's exactly what i did and did not have any problem for 6 months. The jumper costed me some $1.20 and work took 15 minutes. Well, I have learned you do exactly opposite I tell :D what can I say... GOOD LUCK! ;)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

if I understood you correctly the car started when you put a JUMPER fro m your battery + lead to the solenoid. and after you removed the jumper the car started a couple of times and later refused to start. right? IT IS NOT THE KEY or whatever else. IT IS BAD CABLES?CONNECTIONS.

No,..I did not use a jumper, as previously stated, I used the starter cable from the battery directly to the starter (bypassing the solenoid), the battery cable is fine. The solenoid is fine, as well. It is somewhere upstream from the switched 12V cable. I think I'll find its the key cylinder once I figure out how to replace it.

I appreciate your help, I'll send you a 6-pack of your liking, if at the end, it is what you suggest.

Thanks for the support....

I would still suggest that you try the things that I noted in the post below. They may help you track down the problem and can't hurt.

We often overlook the obvious because, "I know it's OK, I already checked that".

My comments are towards the bottom of the post.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...st=0entry8976

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

What about the ignition switch? It is mounted on the column below the key cylinder and actuated by a steel rod connected to the lock.

Larry, the starters solenoid would not click if the ignition switch did not work.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived