CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

wheel hub bearings?

MrEl01

Hi all, I have a 2001 White Diamond Eldorado ETC with just over fifty thousand miles. It is a SWEET ride and I am very pleased with it. I do have a question thou. There is a slight grumble sound when the steering wheel is turned to the right and back to the left. There is also a churping sound as the wheels spin, like a brake tab, but just hade new brakes put on (bendix, sucks, good pads but not for this car) so I don't believe it to be a brake issue. Could these be symptoms of the hub bearings failing?

Duff

Get the car on an untraveled road and do a series of "S" turns like a Nascar driver warming his tires. A bad bearing will growl loader when loaded and quiet down when unloaded.

Get the car on an untraveled road and do a series of "S" turns like a Nascar driver warming his tires. A bad bearing will growl loader when loaded and quiet down when unloaded.

Ranger? The same Ranger I've seen on another forum? This would be quite an honer. I have come to respect your knowledge by reading your replies to questions asked by dummies like me. I am glad that you post here, too. Now I know I can get straight up answers. Thank you for your response. I will heed your words of wisdom next time out.

if by chance not the same Ranger as seen on another forum, please accept my appoliges and

and disregaurd above, with exception of the thank you for your response.

Duff

DuffsDiamond,

The noise is louder when you turn to right and less pronounced when you turn to left. Is that what you are experiencing? If so, it is most likely the left one. Mine failed at 125.000 miles, but 50k is not something unheared. Lot's of info on the subject in archives. Good luck.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

DuffsDiamond,

The noise is louder when you turn to right and less pronounced when you turn to left. Is that what you are experiencing? If so, it is most likely the left one. Mine failed at 125.000 miles, but 50k is not something unheared. Lot's of info on the subject in archives. Good luck.

adallak, yes. That is exactly what this does, wheel to the right it grumbles, quitens comming back to the left. I have not had the oppertunity to "scuff the tires" as Ranger suggested yet but do plan on doing so next a.m. If it is a failed bearing, should I replace both of the hub bearings, or just do the one that is bad? Not to hard of a job from what I've read and I do have a G.M. manual, and I can turn a wrench (sometimes without busting a knuckle). Thanks for your reply adallak.

Duff

DuffsDiamond,

adallak, yes. That is exactly what this does, wheel to the right it grumbles, quitens comming back to the left. I have not had the oppertunity to "scuff the tires" as Ranger suggested yet but do plan on doing so next a.m. If it is a failed bearing, should I replace both of the hub bearings, or just do the one that is bad? Not to hard of a job from what I've read and I do have a G.M. manual, and I can turn a wrench (sometimes without busting a knuckle). Thanks for your reply adallak.

It's a common wisdom to replace the both... but, my second one failed after another 25.000 miles. I personally would replace the one which failed and leave alone the other. Just remember what you have done to the first one to use that knowledge when it's time to replace the other. You are welcome, I have learned a LOT on this board in five years, hope you will do so too.

Jusdt in case you do not know, there are good online stores we all buy OEM and aftermarket parts from.

rockauto.com (good prices, fast shipping)

gmpartsdirect.com (great prices, two weeks shipping, bad customer support)

gmotors.com (I never used their service but heared only positive responses).

I appreciate the tip on the part shops, adallak. I have seen a lot of parts on ebay, such as the hubs, but I did not know how good they are. I also don't much care for some of the chain part stores around my neck of the woods, as a lot of thier remans are done south of the border or overseas. Napa is about the only one I can feel confident in, even at that, NEW only.

Duff

If it is a failed bearing, should I replace both of the hub bearings, or just do the one that is bad?

FWIW, when the bearing failed on my '92 at around 75K I just replaced that one. The other side was still OEM when I traded it at 125K. I'd say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Like Adallak said, after you do one, the second will be a piece of cake (when and if necessary).

Hello again, The weather here has not co-operated today ( figures, I washed it yesterday) so I did not gat an oppertunity to go and scuff my tires as I had hoped to. It was just to wet, although I was tempted. Wet pavement and controled power can be a lot of fun. Thanks Ranger and adallak for your replies. I will check it out tomorrow, then post up.

Duff

Wet pavement should not be a problem other than noise maybe. Keep in mind that you do not have to go very fast. Just enough to hear the bearing growl.

Wet pavement should not be a problem other than noise maybe. Keep in mind that you do not have to go very fast. Just enough to hear the bearing growl.

"Scuff the tires" today and it was as quite as a mouse. Slow rolls for probably ten minutes, a little more aggresive for five more. Not one grumble, not a chirp, not a sound. Like it was brand new. I don't get it, why is it your car will act up except on demand? Is this typical of the early stages of hub bearing failier?

Duff

"Scuff the tires" today and it was as quite as a mouse. Slow rolls for probably ten minutes, a little more aggresive for five more. Not one grumble, not a chirp, not a sound. Like it was brand new. I don't get it, why is it your car will act up except on demand? Is this typical of the early stages of hub bearing failier?

Hub bearing noise would not come and go away. Looks like it was related to you recent brake job. The good thing is that Ranger's advice fixed the problem.

And how the hell did I get that stupid heart in the column next to my topic?

This one is even more difficult to diagnose than the noise you described... :lol:

I agree with Adallak, on both. A bearing noise will only get worse, never better. The heart is a mystery that I was wondering about as well. :lol:

Scuffed 'em again today. Apperantly these cars aint to hard to work on after all. I've had this car since the end of January and it grumbled every time I came out of my drive way and hit the street. A slow right turn. Now nothing but quiet. I like it!

I think I just solved my question about the heart as well. It was errant click of the mouse on the way to submit this thread. Hadn't noticed them before tonight. Oh well, guess I'll just have to be a little red faced.

Duff

Archived