CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

EVAP purge lines

cortezc

I was searching for information on the EVAP lines... I have a 97 Eldorado with 4.6 NS...and Helms Manuals...but there is no diagram that I can find to show where the EVAP line from the canister to the (where does it attach at the engine??) engine area... I cannot find an open port for a connection and wonder if it should attach to the throttle body directly.

The reason I don’t know where it came from is that I installed an engine in this car that someone else had removed and the parts were all scattered…I felt lucky to get everything together but the one line from the canister is not attached….and I do get a purge DTC.

The Purge Vacuum Switch has three ports (seemingly though one (the largest that is 180 degrees from the next largest) may be plugged by design??? The small port is apparently the vacuum supply and it is on the body of the electrical connection and the only place I find communication from or to that port is to the electrical socket connection…it is a vacuum switch and is supposed to be normally open but does normally open apply to the vacuum or to the electrical portion???

Any way the small port from the switch connects to the bottom port of the solenoid and the body has the id mark “CAN” on the outside of the body there. There is a rubber tee fitting there and the small port from the switch connects to one end of the tee while the opposite end of the tee loops back to the larger port that appears to be open on the switch. This is the 180 degree opposite the port that I think is plugged by design….??? The other port on the solenoid (directly above the one that connects with the ‘tee’) connects to the manifold and I assume it is direct vacuum from the manifold….

Where is the EVAP from the canister supposed to connect? Does anyone know where to get a good diagram? The Helms Manual falls way short of being a complete manual in my opinion….at least for me that is the case….

It seems...I can only post using 'fast reply.'

Anyway...I have the EVAP diagram available. Send me a email at logandiagnostic@aol.com . And I will send it to you.

Thanks Logan, your help will be much appreciated....

I was searching for information on the EVAP lines... I have a 97 Eldorado with 4.6 NS...and Helms Manuals...but there is no diagram that I can find to show where the EVAP line from the canister to the (where does it attach at the engine??) engine area... I cannot find an open port for a connection and wonder if it should attach to the throttle body directly.

The reason I don’t know where it came from is that I installed an engine in this car that someone else had removed and the parts were all scattered…I felt lucky to get everything together but the one line from the canister is not attached….and I do get a purge DTC.

The Purge Vacuum Switch has three ports (seemingly though one (the largest that is 180 degrees from the next largest) may be plugged by design??? The small port is apparently the vacuum supply and it is on the body of the electrical connection and the only place I find communication from or to that port is to the electrical socket connection…it is a vacuum switch and is supposed to be normally open but does normally open apply to the vacuum or to the electrical portion???

Any way the small port from the switch connects to the bottom port of the solenoid and the body has the id mark “CAN” on the outside of the body there. There is a rubber tee fitting there and the small port from the switch connects to one end of the tee while the opposite end of the tee loops back to the larger port that appears to be open on the switch. This is the 180 degree opposite the port that I think is plugged by design….??? The other port on the solenoid (directly above the one that connects with the ‘tee’) connects to the manifold and I assume it is direct vacuum from the manifold….

Where is the EVAP from the canister supposed to connect? Does anyone know where to get a good diagram? The Helms Manual falls way short of being a complete manual in my opinion….at least for me that is the case….

With Logan's help and researching a bunch of posts on another forum I was able to garner all the information I needed....If anyone is interested the ports on the vacuum switch that was confusing my issues were routed wrong.... the upper small port on the vacuum switch is a vent. Only one line (vacuum) needs to connect to the vacuum switch and it goes to the port that is built to attach a vacuum line to... the opposite port is designed blank...must be for modified use in another application..??

cort,

Glad you solved your problem.

For anyone else interested, here's some more information:

Regards,

Warren

EVAP_System_97.doc

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived