CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Off topic - Mercruiser V8 5.7L spark jumping

Hey guys,

Sorry to be slightly off topic here but i need some help on this one.

I have an old Sea Ray speedboat with a Mercruiser V8 5.7L 260HP in it (just the standard GM block i suppose?)

It's an engine with the old distributor cap on it

Thing is, the engine runs fine but sparks are jumping from the Bobine to the ground e.g. the engine block (not sure what Bobine in english would translate but it's the thing that discharges the current to the distributor cap and then to the sparks)

When the engine is running you can just look at the sparks jumping all over the place.

Replaced all the spark wiring: (not the cheap cable's but the proper shielded ones)

Replaced the sparks (not sure if it are the right ones though because my brother went out and got them and just replaced them, probably with the same ones as there were already in)

Replaced the Bobine but with the new one it's the same story. it's just jumps through/past the insulation on the wiring.

Looks like the Bobine simply can't manage to loose it's current to the sparks for one or the other reason and then starts discharging to the nearest ground (engine)

The engine runs fine etc. but still it doesn't feel right and it could be potentially dangerous with gasses under the hood and all so i want it fixed.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks for your input.

Marc.

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

What you may be seeing is induced corona. All HEI ignitions have some induced corona. I would follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding spark hazard and flammable vapors. With marine gear, anything else is no-man's land.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Induced corona???? never heard of it.....

What does it mean?

Thanks Jim.

Marc.

Check what brand of plugs you have, AC's are preferred, if you have Champions loose them. I think what you call the Bodine is the coil here. How old is it? (Must be old if the coil isn't in the cap)

Joe

PS what does gas on the water run you?

No idea what brand the plugs are but i suspect they are eithter Champs or Bosch.

Boat is from early 80's i think..

Will check out the sparc plugs and see what they are and make a picture of the engine so i can make this all a bit more clear.

Thanks

Marc.

Archived