CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

couple ?s for you experts on 99 sts

rhead007

wife hit a pot hole on the high front right wheel then i got the service susp light found a rod from lower arm to a sensor so i fixed it put it back in the plastic end now code reads rss c1717 means open circuit so is the modual bad ? how do i test it ? this is a 99 sts seville

also is there a cabin air filter in this car i should replace we have had the car for years other problem is code msm b 1850 and 1860 can i fix those seat sensors and how thanks ken any help appreciatted

wife hit a pot hole on the high front right wheel then i got the service susp light found a rod from lower arm to a sensor so i fixed it put it back in the plastic end now code reads rss c1717 means open circuit so is the modual bad ? how do i test it ?

If the suspension was shocked hard enough to dislodge the position sensor connecting rod, there is a good chance other parts are disconnected or damaged. That was no love tap!

For the C1717, follow the wire harness from the inside bottom part of the strut up to where it mates with the chassis connector under the hood. If you are lucky, that connector has been shocked loose. Or the wire harness has been damaged.

And I would also carefully inspect that wheel and tire. Knowing the amount of force required to remove that position sensor connecting rod, I would not be surprised if you find a bent wheel and a destroyed tire; at the bare minimum.

Your other items are of no consequence until you take a good look at that right front suspension.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

wife hit a pot hole on the high front right wheel then i got the service susp light found a rod from lower arm to a sensor so i fixed it put it back in the plastic end now code reads rss c1717 means open circuit so is the modual bad ? how do i test it ?

If the suspension was shocked hard enough to dislodge the position sensor connecting rod, there is a good chance other parts are disconnected or damaged. That was no love tap!

For the C1717, follow the wire harness from the inside bottom part of the strut up to where it mates with the chassis connector under the hood. If you are lucky, that connector has been shocked loose. Or the wire harness has been damaged.

And I would also carefully inspect that wheel and tire. Knowing the amount of force required to remove that position sensor connecting rod, I would not be surprised if you find a bent wheel and a destroyed tire; at the bare minimum.

Your other items are of no consequence until you take a good look at that right front suspension.

inspected that all today thats why im askin ill check the wiring harness wheel and tire are fine thank god cuz it was a shock im acctually supprizzed they made it it happened week ago or so on way back from tenn to chgo so imm trin to figure out the rest thanks for help though

• 1 month later...

thanks got it all fixed up pulled wheel found the sensor arm pulled out of plastic end shoved it back in also found the unit unplugged everything is good now still need to find the cabin air filter though if there is one in 99

still need to find the cabin air filter though if there is one in 99

There is. It is located above and to the right of the accelerator. A real "fun" job.

the cabin air filter job will take you about 1 hour and is no fun. It is a 3 peice filter and they slide into one another. Taking out the filter is simple and so is putting in the first section of the filter. Good Luck with the other 2 parts. Also, you have very little room to access where the filter goes and you will be bending in positions your body is not used to.

Don't take my word for it . . . . I've never done this job.

However, I seem to recall someone here saying the job went easier if you removed the gas pedal. Can anyone confirm??

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Yes, some have removed both the gas pedal, and even the driver's seat to assist in reducing body contortions.

I did neither, but it truly is a ridiculous job for anyone other than a hobbit.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

. . . . but it truly is a ridiculous job for anyone other than a hobbit.

At 6' 3" and 225 lbs., I'm off to Rent-a-Hobbit if my next Caddy needs this done. :P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I'm similar in build to you, Warren.

On my new STS, I'll look into hiring one of these guys to change my filter.

post-1542-1181103659_thumb.jpg

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Archived