CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS IS Starting Hard

wings2fly

I just became the proud owner of a 1997 Seville STS PoloGreen Beautiful.

I'm having to crank the the motor excessively to get it started. Once started if I shut it down and restart within a minute or 2 it will start up normally ( 2 second crank ).

Has anyone solved this problem in the past. Is it the fuel pump, the fuel filter, or the fuel regulator?

Best regards,

Daddyscaddy

I'm guessing it could be a plugged filter or even a fuel regulator. Usually when fuel pumps go out, they go out completely, but they can cuase weird problems too. How many miles? You should probably change the fuel filter anyway, most people overlook replacing that.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

I'm guessing it could be a plugged filter or even a fuel regulator. Usually when fuel pumps go out, they go out completely, but they can cuase weird problems too. How many miles? You should probably change the fuel filter anyway, most people overlook replacing that.

98,000 Miles on the STS. Is the fuel filter on the frame? I haven't purchased a Service manual yet.

Any hints as to the location of the fuel filter?

Best regards,

Daddyscaddy

A plugged filter would cause fuel starvation at high fuel demands, like WOT or highway driving. I seriously doubt that is your problem. I'd check the FPR first.

A plugged filter would cause fuel starvation at high fuel demands, like WOT or highway driving. I seriously doubt that is your problem. I'd check the FPR first.

[/quote

Thanks, I will check the fuel pressure regulator. I need a suggestion as to who would rent me a gage to check my fuel rail pressure?

Best regards,

Daddyscaddy

10 to 1 it's the fuel pressure regulator. Get it from www.Rockauto.com

The fuel filter is typically on the underside near the drivers door. The system will be pressurized, watch for a little to escape when you open it.

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

WAIT! Did you say that the second crank it starts easier?? This could also be improperly gapped spark plugs! I had the same EXACT problem with my 2001 suburban. It would crank and crank and finally start, but the second time, it would start perfect. Everyone told me it was the fuel pressure regulator too. Just so happened to be that whoever put the plugs in, didn't gap them. They were off by .020, which is a lot. Regapped them all and BAM, worked like a charm. Someone may have replaced spark plugs on it and didn't gap them. It may be worth your time to check one of the spark plugs.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Check your fuel pump relay; at the very least unplug and reseat it to clean the contacts.

If the relay fails, the oil pressure switch will provide an alternate power source to the pump *after* the oil pressure has reached a specified point.

Guess what this results in? That's right: long crank times. HTH.

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: This will also result in "normal" crank times if the engine is restarted in under 20 minutes or so.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Check your fuel pump relay; at the very least unplug and reseat it to clean the contacts.

If the relay fails, the oil pressure switch will provide an alternate power source to the pump *after* the oil pressure has reached a specified point.

Guess what this results in? That's right: long crank times. HTH.

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: This will also result in "normal" crank times if the engine is restarted in under 20 minutes or so.

Warren:

It sounds plausible! Where can I find the relay on the vehicle. Today I have discovered that if I open the throttle full while cranking it catches and takes off ! This would idicate that the engine is starving for fuel ?

Am I correct in assuming the FPR is on or near the fuel rail?

My Best to all the Cadillac Girls and Boys out there you guys are really giving me some good support-------It is nice to be flying with the eagles!!

Daddyscaddy

I

Today I have discovered that if I open the throttle full while cranking it catches and takes off ! This would idicate that the engine is starving for fuel ?

No, that would indicate that it is flooded. Holding the pedal to the floor enables the "Clear Flood Mode" and disables the injectors. Leads me to think leaky FPR or injector(s). Yes the FPR is on the fuel rail and has a vacuum line attached to the top.

Archived