CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New tires

Va Maddog

I wish that I had the necessary equipment at home to do all of my own service work - but who has a home tire mounting and balancing machine? Anyway just had a new set of tires put on. Felt a new vibration afterwards that seemed to me like one or more unbalanced tires. Sure enough, went back today and they found that the rear tires had not been balanced. They called it "an assumed balance error" which meant that the kid who remounted the wheels had assumed that they had been balanced but they were not.

It is so hard to find a service center today that does consistent quality work. Things just fall apart with quality control once you get into the shop area. The pressure is on management for quick turns and low labor costs so they push people and get cheap help for the bull work tasks. It makes it difficult for the good mechanics and techs to take ownership for thier work and get to know a customer. Feedback is usually second hand via the service writers.

If anyone here runs a good shop - congratualtions to you, I'm sure that it is a difficult job attracting and retaining good techs while also meeting all of your sales and profitability goals. The true challange is making the customer feel that attention was paid to detail and that he/she received a good product/value for what they paid. As a customer - you really have to manage your own experience with the shop. The days of trusting that they will only do what they have to do and that it will be done right are things of the past.

Boy you said it all, it is near impossible to get good help or service!

1) the tranny rebuilder that was recommended by the local Caddy dealer wrecked my 91 Seville, some of the problems were leaking oil cooler lines, seriously misrouted electrical harnesses, a missing bolt in the bellhousing, and a bent brake rotor splash guard causing a scraping noise, terrible quality!!

2) the 'professional' painters we hired were horrible and varnished doors IN PLACE allowing sags and runs, I was like YOU VARNISH DOORS IN PLACE??

3) my landscaper does 40 MPH on his riding mower completing my 1/4 acre in 5 minutes leaving deep ruts in my lawn and wonders why he is not asked back,

4) I take my TV to a SONY authorized service center and I get it back and its got GREEN color swipes down both sides, and had to take a 25 inch TV back again!

5) I take my 96 Deville to CADDY as I had a REFRIGERANT LOW code, and simply asked them to EVACUATE AND RECHARGE my AC, the SERIVCE MANAGER looks at my car says, a 96?, you probably have a leak, and need a new compressor it will cost hundreds, just like that! I take it home after talking to this board buy 3 cars of freon a guage set and recharge is and it works beatuifully, why?

Don't get me started, THESE are the reasons I do ALL my OWN work!! Mike

:angry:

It's cost guys! The dealer has to make money on parts, service, sales, you name it! Do you know what it costs a new dealer to set up shop, per se? The land and building alone, is millions! NOBODY goes into business to lose money!

It's cost guys! The dealer has to make money on parts, service, sales, you name it! Do you know what it costs a new dealer to set up shop, per se? The land and building alone, is millions! NOBODY goes into business to lose money!

Point taken but that does NOT justify sloppy or dishonest workmanship.... :blink:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived