CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Only when the roads are wet!

bigjayzway

Okay how to put this?

Well I had the problem with my ABS and TC light coming on, and it was saying it was the drivers side wheel speed sensor.

Well I took the wheel off, cleaned the connections, cause it was packed full of snow from the last storm about 2 weeks ago.

I went for a drive and the lights came on again!

So I pulled the wheel off again and cleaned the wires once more, the next day(it was sunny and roads were dry this day)

WOW, no more codes.....great I fixed it!

Nope.......next day it snowed again, and as soon as I hit the first slushy puddle the lights came on again?????

I then went to reset the code, and nothing happened....they stayed on. I did this 3 times, and on the last one I had to put the brakes on for another car that turned in front of me....As I did the ABS clear codes and had the brakes on, the brake pedal went down about 3/4 of an inch more than usual and the code cleared????

I drove the rest of the day like this clearing the code whenever I hit a puddle.

Well 2 weeks go by and the roads were dry till last night, they were wet....ok lets see if I am crazy I thought. I went for a drive and BANG the lights came on as soon as I hit the first small puddle.

Here is what troubles me....

I can spray all the water I want on the whell when washing it, and no codes, but hit a puddle????????and there it is!?

Can anyone make light of this?

All the wires look good, and there are no visible breaks in the connection that I can see.

Thanks

Big Jay :blink::blink::blink:

Life is too short to grow up!

Are you seeing "C" codes for other than that one wheel speed sensor? And what is the specific wheel speed sensor code you have to clear all the time?

I'm remembering your previous thread. Did you follow up with inspection of the EBTCM connector and wire harness?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Use heavy silicone grease to re-seal the connectors after you clean them.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Had the same exact problem with my 01 Monte Carlo SS. I'm about 95% sure that your wheel sensor is bad. If you keep cleaning it and it still doesn't work, that means it's bad. You can't just replace the sensor, you have to replace the whole hub. Good luck!

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

....If you keep cleaning it and it still doesn't work, that means it's bad.
Not so.

The wheel speed sensor information goes directly to and only to the EBTCM. Codes related to ABS or Traction Control are set by the EBTCM. Would it not make sense to confirm there is no connector or wiring damage before throwing high dollar parts at the problem? Only to discover the high dollar parts do not fix the problem because the wiring is damaged.

Better to diagnose the problem by eliminating the possibilities rather than shoveling money at it. And in a modern car, the first and second possibilities to eliminate involve connectors and wire harnesses. Comparisons to other makes and models fail.

There are many many examples of wiring / connector issues that were repaired without buying any parts. Look in the archives.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I thought we ruled out that it was the connector though because he cleaned it and checked it, right? I'm just talking from experience.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I thought we ruled out that it was the connector though because he cleaned it and checked it, right? I'm just talking from experience.

So far we know a little bit about one connector. What about the other end of those wires?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Oh yeah, just now noticed the previous thread about the connector on the other end. If it was my car and it was my luck, it probably end up being a hub. When something goes wrong with my cars, I usually can expect the worse.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I will look at the EBTCM.

Thanks.

Jay

Life is too short to grow up!