CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Antenna Mast replacement

Dloch

97 STS, When it was bitter cold up here the antenna decided it wasn't going to go up and down anymore. I figured the nylon rope used to raise and lower it had busted. Since it was stuck up the car wash people were reluctant to run the car through the car wash.... So I removed the motor from the antenna shaft in the truck no nylon rope in sight so I kept manually lifting and lowering the antenna until after what was left of the nylon rope still attached to the antenna came through the hole in the lower part of the mast. Cut it off with a pair of dikes and at least I can get out and lower the antenna to get the car washed, atleast when it stops snowing that is.

I called my favorite GM dealer to find out how much a replacement antenna was, $ 111.00 but he also sadi that they have a mast kit for ~ $ 42.00 so I bit. Since I have the raise and lower motor unconnected from the mast and there is no section of the nylon rope coming out of the motor I need to take it apart to get out whats left of the broken rope.

Anyone done this?

Dennis

Dennis

Dennis,

There is a replacement cable available for about $12 - it is the third (smallest) section of mast with the nylon cable attached. I don't know the part no. but I believe someone on this board has repaired their antenna with the cable kit.

The part no. for the cable kit for my old Park Avenue was 22039349 but I'm not sure if it is the same for the Cadillacs.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

No need to buy the motor... Or the whole mast... Just get the nylon bit as KHE suggests and replace only the broken bit...

BTW I have aways used part number 22038195 for the mast and nylon... I wonder if there is a difference or if one superseeds the other. The "195" number is "famous" among owners of Olds 98s, Toronados, Camaros, Vettes and Regals and Cutlass.

I used one of these to fix my dads 92 Toronado... Dealer said there was no way it would fit...

For $15 I figured I would risk it, he was wrong, fit like a glove! No issues.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

• 3 months later...
No need to buy the motor... Or the whole mast... Just get the nylon bit as KHE suggests and replace only the broken bit...

BTW I have aways used part number 22038195 for the mast and nylon... I wonder if there is a difference or if one superseeds the other. The "195" number is "famous" among owners of Olds 98s, Toronados, Camaros, Vettes and Regals and Cutlass.

I used one of these to fix my dads 92 Toronado... Dealer said there was no way it would fit...

Hey guys, have the same story, the nylon bit is broken in my mast. i have some of similar nylon stuff lying around but i noticed that in the original there is somesort of metal.

Does this metal do anything for the reception of the radio or is it just to enforce the nylon?

E.g. can i replace it with nylon without this inner wire in it or not?

Thanks

Marc.

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

The metal core in the nylon is to reinforce the cable. It has nothing to do with the reception.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The metal core in the nylon is to reinforce the cable. It has nothing to do with the reception.

Great stuff.. thanks, that makes it all a lot easier.

Marc.

Great stuff.. thanks, that makes it all a lot easier.

Marc.

Hi

I have a new unit in my partsbin, the GM # 22038195.If you are using something else, the nylon should have a hole in it, so the end hook, which has about an inch long end that goes into the line. Without that end, the line would break easy right at the hook.I remember finding a yellow line in the woods, used by the forest service. It was perfect for the job.Good luck.

Regards

Runar

Just a little update for future reference might anyone run into the same problem and is tempted to repair it themselves.

I found a nylon wire at the do it yourself store which is normally used to pull electrical wires trough the tubes in the walls of your house (also available as a long metal spring type variant)

It was not only cheap (equivalent to about 6 dollars) it was also exactly the same thickness of the original nylon.

Took out the antenna motor and replaced the nylon wire by melting it loose on the upper mast and just janking it out of the hook in the antenna motor.

Then i carefully used a hammer to tap the hook back on the new nylon wire and bended the hook 'which was straightened in the process' in myself again (little imagination gets you anywhere)

Then cut the new wire on more or less the same size as the old one plus a few inches for screwing up (hey, what a surprise..... i needed those extra inches!)

Then warmed the nylon up and slowly pushed it in the the mast foot. (upper mast part).

Obviously the motor was not in the correct position anymore and refused to retract the mast any further then half way, at that point i opened up the case again and wound the last bit up by hand.

That did the trick.

Everything seems to be working in correct order now.

All in all a nice job for the evenings where you can't be bothered to look at the television and rather make yourself usefull.

Hope above will help someone in the future who runs into the same issue and can save him/herself $105 or more (a new one is $111?)

Any help needed, don't hesitate to PM me.

Best regards,

Marc.

Cool and good to know... When GM discontinues the above part I will give this a go... Till then... keep in mind the part that you fixed can be bought at the dealer for $15 bucks... You saved $9.

On cars where the antenna is easy to get to, like most Caddies (where the antenna is in the trunk) I'd try this... on cars where it is in the front fender and you have to take 1/2 the car a part to get to the antenna motor... Use the OEM part.

caddy.jpg

Greg

Ah..... so the replacement mast with vinyl cord can be bought seperately??

:P ah well..... it was fun to do.....

Yes, as posted by a few of us above P/N 22038195... is the nylon bit and the top 1/3 of the mast it attaches too.. unscrew the finial and that's it. Less work... "genuine" part and only ~$6 more ;)

BTW I have aways used part number 22038195 for the mast and nylon... I wonder if there is a difference or if one supersedes the other. The "195" number is "famous" among owners of Olds 98s, Toronados, Camaros, Vettes and Regals and Cutlass.

caddy.jpg

Greg

Archived