CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Considering '97 sts

notch8

Hey guys

I spotted a '97 sts yesterday. So far all I know is it has 70-80k on it, a definate bad head gasket,

I seriously doubt the head is cracked. The car looks good, in & out. I will talk to the owner later today- he's asking $4900 the way it is! I think he'll come down but don't know how much.

I know I am capable of the timesert job and probably whatever else it needs but I won't pay

more than it's worth -up front!

I know someone else bought a bad one in NC and fixed it. I really don't know what to offer for

this dead sts. Help with some info!

Thanks,

Roger

4900 seems steep, check the trader and see what you can get a good used one for, it will help you decide. A job like this is about 3000 usd in a shop, or more. It will probably cost you $800 - 1000 by the time you get a kit, all the inserts, new gaskets, new fluids, etc. and is a fair amount of work. And who knows what else is wrong with the car as well.....

If its not a 'steal' then it dosnt seem worth while in my opinion, good luck in deciding

I bought my '97 in NC and fixed it up last spring. I paid $2400 for the car as someone else bid it up $500 in $100 increments at the last few seconds of the auction. That was the absolute maximum I was willing to go and if it hadn't been for the other bidder, I would have won it for $1900. Bottom line is that $4900 is WAY too much money for the car you are looking at in my opinion. Do a search on edmunds.com with the car in excellent condition and then subtract the cost of the headgasket repair from a dealer (about $3000) to come up with an offer.

I would not worry about a cracked head - the guru that used to frequent this board said he had not seen a cracked head from the field...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

There are a lot of them out there for considerably less than that. Most of them start out that high but when no one's interested the price drops. I would say $2500 is more in line with what I would be willing to pay for it. It is lower miles so maybe a little more.

Thanks guys, especially Kevin. I figured 2-2500. was about right.

Update: the car has a salvage title, it had something dropped on it, roof straightened,

new windshield & door, not to mention the bad engine. Needless to say I want no part

of this car! Thanks for the great advice! I don't NEED another car as I have 2 plus our

Eldo. I am just looking for something like Kevin found. I like working on these great cars!

Again thanks,

Roger

$4900 is way to steep. I'm asking about the same for my '97 SLS, which is still in perfect running order. If you can get the car for 1000 bucks or something, you don't have a whole lot to lose.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 3 weeks later...

Pass on this and buy a nicer car. Sure, you can probably do the Timeserts yourself; but why step into this kind of work if you don't have to?

Put the loot you'd spend Timeserting this one toward buying a good running car then spend your free time throwing back cold ones and cruizin' the roads rather than breakin' your @$$ doin' Timeserts... ;)

Archived