CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 STS issues

raz

I just got my 2000 STS back from the dealer for trans and oil leaks. They changed the seals on the drive shafts and oil pan gasket. Today i noticed the steering does not lock in place when the key is removed. I also notice more vibration above 60 mph than normal. I am aware of the tire balancing issue and will have the tires rebalanced and rotated this thursday. Is this normal for the steering to not lock in place and could the removal of the drive shafts or them maybe being out of balance cause the more than normal vibration above 60 mph?

I would also report the vibration to the dealer and the fact that it is worse now than before service. Perhaps they did not re-align the suspension?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Your steering wheel does not lock.

If it was my car, I would loosen the lug nuts on both front wheels and use the proper tightening sequence to torque them to 100 lb ft. In fact, I torque mine in two steps; first to 75 lb ft, then to 100 lb ft. See what that does for your vibrarion.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I am going to get the tires balanced and recheck. Yes my ignition key is on the dash but shouldn't the steering wheel still lock in place in park after the key is removed? I really do not remember if it locked in the past or not. The transmission was pulled i was wondering if that had something to do with it. If anyone has a STS please verify.

Yes my ignition key is on the dash but shouldn't the steering wheel still lock in place in park after the key is removed?

No. There is no tumbler in the column, thus no way to lock it.

You don't need the ignition to be on the column for it to lock. Mercedes ignition switch's are on the dash and the steering locks on them. There's a cable from the switch to the lock mechanism on the column.

Thanks for the reply. I had called and talked with the service supervisor and he thought it locked. I deal with a bunch of idiots at the dealer and i trust this forum more than the dealers bullshit. I will keep you informed about the vibration issue at least i know the steering not locking is normal.

Thanks Flap

Archived