CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Garage Door Remote Programming

Caddynut

I need a little information....I have an older style garage door opener with 9 dip switches in the unit. I recently purchased one of the older cadillac overhead garage door remotes with the red light on the remote and with 9 dip switches. My question is....My garage door unit has 3 positions for each of the 9 dip switches: - 0 + and the remote I have in the cadillac has only 2 settings on each of the 9 dip switches: on or off. Is this remote even compatible with my older system and if it is...how in the heck do I program it to work? Thanks for any help.

Caddynut

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

With the older Cadillac transmitters (single button and three position selector switch), you need a receiver box (from Cadillac) that connects to your existing door opener. You can get them at a Delco radio service center cheaper than the dealer.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

off topic but does the newer ones that can be programed for rolling codes work with the older caddys like my 92'?

Yes - they will work in any Cadillac that has the receptacle between the visors.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks you two I needed to know that, is it possible to program a gate for a gate house in a gated community? Can you use the remote you have and them somehow program the caddy one from that? Cuz the community wants 35 dollars for a 10 dollar remote at radio shack and id rather have the caddy one for 15-20 more that can also open the garage.

don't realy know if this applies to anyone's questions, but I ran across it one day on the net & saved it in case I ever got a remote for my caddy. I have not tried it, so i don't know if it works or what caddy remote it works with

"As far as I know, it works the same as the yellow lamp Homelink units. Hold the two outer buttons for several seconds until the lamp flashes, aim your transmitter at the unit, press and hold the button on the transmitter, and then press and hold the button you want programmed until the lamp flashes rapidly. I programmed this unit to my garage door a few years ago without any instructions, so I believe this to be the correct method (please note I have no way of verifying that to be completely correct). I do know this transmitter does indeed work. It is in very good physical condition. I am selling it because my Sears garage door opener died and this unit is not compatible with the newer opener. This is the red lamp version of the remote transmitter, which does not work with newer rolling code openers."

Don't know if this helps or not - but what the heck!?! B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

• 2 weeks later...

How much do you want for that old system. I really need the receiver unit for the garage door unit. Let me know.

Caddynut

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle