CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

how to get the horn sounding like it should

davedog

Not too long ago a a thread was started about "wimpy" cadillac horns. I found out that I was not the only one cursed with a horn that's sound just didn't match the car.

Here is what I did today.

After some searching, I discovered that my 1992 eldorado has two horns. One on each front corner of ther car, located under the headlights. You can access them pretty easily by just laying under the car.

Lay under one of the horns and hold it with you hand. Have a buddy honk the horn. If you can "feel" it as well as hear it, you know tha horn is working. Do this on each horn. In my case the defective one was the one on the drivers side of the car.

Next I took a test light and put one lead on the green wire (hot) that leads to the horn, and grounded the other to a bolt on the car. Then I had a buddy honk the horn. The light lit up so we new it was the horn itself.

Next I unbolted the horn (one bolt) and hooked it up to a jump box. Of course it still didn't work. We then beat on the horn (very hard) with a hammer, and after several hard hits it went "HOOOOOOOOONK"

Turns out that mine was just stuck, maybe yours is too! :D

Now I am not embarrased to honk my horn anymnore, or embarassed when my alarm goes off. :lol:

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Good work at troubleshooting - and you lucked out with the hammer fix - lol

What does the U03(RPO): Horn, noise regulation option mean? I have that on my SLS and thought that it might have something to do with the horn sounding a bit muted. Perhaps I have the same problem you had. I'll have to check it out.

My 98 sls has the "horn, subdued" option and is pretty weak...I installed a pair of after market horns in front of the condensor,with a relay, and tied to the factory horn leads under the right front fender....Now the horn is audible even on the freeway...Although I am not one to use it except when really needed...that road rage thing.....

Well I just came back from laying on my garage floor to check out my horn situation. I could find two horns. I was expecting to find three and I may just have missed the third one. Anyway - the two I found, one behind the battery and one beneth the battery both had power and both seemed to be working. Still does not sound like a Caddy horn. Is there a third one somewhere that I missed? 95 SLS. I'm still hoping to pick up the service manuals from Ebay later this week, have to wait for the end of the auction...

Found this on the old board archives. There is lots more there under "horns" but this may shed some light on the problem.

http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...?id=IMPORT-9980

http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...id=IMPORT-13432

Found this on the old board archives. There is lots more there under "horns" but this may shed some light on the problem.

http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...?id=IMPORT-9980

http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...id=IMPORT-13432

very interesting reads....

so I am not the only one who beats their horns untill they work.....lol

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I have a 98 STS and the horns are fairly loud enough. I was bored and decided to add on some European trumpet airhorns. I must say it's one of the top mods I've done and it was all for under $40. The 4 horns total, 2 stock + 2 airhorns have a full luxurious sound. Very intimidating, very loud and scares the sh*t out of motorists!! I can see people jump when I hit them. Also it definately enhances the factory alarm system.

Archived