CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

head gasket replacement

z10kl

If it didnt hydralock how did the coolant get in the combustion cylinder. The car was towed from my buddies garage to the caddy dealer. They said they checked hydracarbons and said it was a head gasket problem and said they could fix for 4k.

If you had sufficient coolant in the combustion chamber you would have blown a rod through the side of the engine. How do you know you had coolant in the chamber?

What was the RESULT of the hydrocarbon test? Did they know the engine was time-serted? Who was this a dealer? I hope others chime in here this does NOT sound right...

Your head bolts did not sound pulled to me, that is why I was saying that you might have had a warped head, I have been scratching my head over this... Who timeserted this engine 50K ago? Without timeserting the engine last 90,000 miles, timeserting makes the engine bullet proof.. to only get 50K is ODD especially since it does not appear that you had any problems with the front bolts..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The dealer that checked it out this time was Sonny Hancock chevy Caddy in Gastonia NC. I did not get the results of the test they did because my friend had nalready told me it had coolant in the cylinder. the only reason I tookm it to the dealer is because I called the Caddy line to see about any help on it since it was repaired by a Caddy dealer in Fla at no charge. They led me to believe they would help me with it but would not tell mw what or how much untill I had it checked by a dealer. I had to agree to pay the dealed to check it land had it towed over there. It took 2 weeks to get any reply from Caddy as to what they would do. Thewy would not even return my calls. The dealer would not call them, saik I had to have caddy call them. I never got the person I had originally talked to on the phone. I finally had to get a liitle nasty to get any one at Caddy to tell me any thing and some guy told me they would not do anything due to the millage on th;e car.

They knew all the facts before I had it towed to the dealer . The only thing that changed is I spent more money for them to tell me what my buddy had already told me.I don't remember then name of the dealer in Fla that did the initial repaiar but I will check the invoice and post it. I have all the reciept for andy repairs ever done to the car.

If the car was not running when the coolant filled a cylinder and would not spin when the starter engaged there is no way it would break or bend a rod. It could snap the starter though.

I would have been good diagnostics to do a cylinder pressure test on the engine before breaking the head bolts loose. Did you try turning the engine over with the spark plugs out (before any disassembly)?

At this point it sounds like replacing the head gasket is the route to go. A 99 is fairly easy to drop the cradle on. The 93-95's are harder because the wiring is different and much harder to remove. I would really recommend dropping the cradle, especially if you are not a highly experienced mechanic.

If you drop the cradle the access to everything is much easier. As scary as dropping the cradle seems it really saves you at least as much time as it takes.

Archived