CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blower motor

tkjr

Hello,

My blower motor quit on me. It has 3 wires to it. Red(pos), grey(speed control?), and blk(neg). With blower on high, I read 13 v on the red and grey to ground. And with blower on low I read 10 v on the grey to ground. This sounds correct to lower the blower speed. Are these readings correct and the blower motor is bad? Also are there good aftermarket blowers with integrated module or is it dealer item? Thanks alot!!

The programmer pulls the grey wire to ground in a PWM fashion. If it stays high, the blower will not run; less than 4.5 V corresponds to high speed. What is the resistance of the grey wire to ground as measured on the blower connector (programmer side)?

Hey kevin,

I double checked the voltage to ground on the grey wire and I must have been reading across the red wire the first time. The grey reads 0 vdc to ground in both the high and low fan speeds. The resistance of grey to ground is as follows:

Fan on high- 8 kohms

fan on low- 1.1 Mohms

fan off- open

Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help, Tom.

P.S.- These readings are at the plug without being connected to the blower motor.

Your resistance measurements show the programmer is responding, but to be certain, you could measure the voltages on the grey wire while the circuit is complete. I've found a single copper strand (from some spare wire) will make is past the weather seal and allow the connector to be seated, just make sure it doesn't contact either of the other terminals. With the fan off, the voltage should be B+, low speed around 9 V and high under 4.5 V. If the motor is receiving B+, has a good ground, and the voltage on the control lead is below ~ 9V, it should be running.

I think your best bet would be to purchase a new replacement from one of the online discount parts sellers. It is a revised design and comes with a heat shield.

• 2 weeks later...
The programmer pulls the grey wire to ground in a PWM fashion.

Curious, what is "PWM fashion" ?

I know on my '93 it has a single speed blower motor with a blower control module that changes the voltage of the motor via a bank of resistors mounted on a heat sink.

The programmer pulls the grey wire to ground in a PWM fashion.

Curious, what is "PWM fashion" ?

I know on my '93 it has a single speed blower motor with a blower control module that changes the voltage of the motor via a bank of resistors mounted on a heat sink.

PWM is pulse width modulation. The duty cycle (percentage that the signal is high vs. low) of the square wave signal is varied to control the blower speed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The blower control module, used on 1993 and older Electronic Climate Control systems (introduced for the 1980 model year) does not use a bank of resistors like most simpler systems. In response to the programmer, it is capable of commanding an almost infinite number of fan speeds. For 1994, the control module was integrated with a brushless HVAC blower; speed is regulated by the frequency and switching of the 3 Field Effect Transistors.

Howyadoin,

You've probably already done the replacement by now, but I used a "Four Seasons" blower motor with integrated controller that worked out OK so far (2 months post-surgery). Cost me $220 at my local independent parts store, as opposed to $340 at the dealer for OEM, which sometimes isn't really a precise replacement for some parts anyway from what I've read. I don't know if this is the case for the blower motor, though.

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

I bought my OEM replacement blower motor from Brasingtons (www.gmotors.com) for $187. It's a new design that incorporates a heat shield to protect the motor from the engine heat.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I bought my OEM replacement blower motor from Brasingtons (www.gmotors.com) for $187.  It's a new design that incorporates a heat shield to protect the motor from the engine heat.

It sounds like I bought the same one you did, got it at gmpartsdirect.com for $168.00, plus $30 shipping and HANDLING!! Was suprised to see that when I was checking out. Oh well, I did recieve it in 3 days, can't complain I guess. Tom

I bought my OEM replacement blower motor from Brasingtons (www.gmotors.com) for $187.  It's a new design that incorporates a heat shield to protect the motor from the engine heat.

It sounds like I bought the same one you did, got it at gmpartsdirect.com for $168.00, plus $30 shipping and HANDLING!! Was suprised to see that when I was checking out. Oh well, I did recieve it in 3 days, can't complain I guess. Tom

gmpartsdirect.com builds all of their profit as part of the shipping and handling. The "our price" is actually the dealer cost of the item.

$198 is still better than $420 (just for the part) that my dealer quoted when I did that job...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived