CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

how do i...

chriscisme

Repairing a GM Saginaw steering column is difficult and not for the weak at heart.

I attached a exploded view of a GM Saginaw column. From the key cylinder, a long rod is used to transfer the motion down the steering column, to the ignition switch.

#77 is the actual ignition switch. It is located lower on the outside of the column. It should be possible to replace the ignition switch with out taking the column apart. But, the column would have to be dropped down somewhat for access to the switch.

Hopefully the switch broke up and the problem is NOT in the mechanicals of the column.

I know this comment isn't needed in the discussion but....

that looks like one of those jobs that when your all done you have parts left over and have to start again and again :P

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i got to the ignition switch and i have no idea how to tell if its bad or not

also, when i turn the key it turns quite fluidly and theres no resistence from the starting point to the on point but when i turn hte key bakc theres a bit of a feeling that something is moving inside of there

I remember when I had my 95 SLS the key was hard to turn in the igntion. I sprayed the key with WD 40 and put the key in and turned it a bunch of times. I repeated this a couple of times and it worked like a dream.

As far as pulling igntion switches, my 84 suburban I had to pull the steering wheel and lock plate and crap to get to the switch. It was easy on that though, took me about 15 minutes to get to it.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Usually on older GM cars it is the switch that goes bad. Contacts in the switch burn and get rough and the switch won't slide smoothly anymore. It is hard to test but you can try moving the slider and see how it feels.

I would put the new switch in. I give it a 98.215% chance of fixing it.

It is difficult to work under the dash but make sure you get the switch adjusted so when the key is off the switch is detented in the off position. It isn't an adjustment that has to be to .0005" but you don't want it way off either.

Since New Year I've replaced the swith in my 74 pickup for the same problem as you had (almost the same switch).

The other I replaced was the switch in my brother's 03 Bravada. That is a totally different switch and it did not hang up but did not start the car intermittently.

Archived